The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to set-up a 33 gal long aquarium. It will have medium light, and plenty of plants (but no CO2). I'll be creating a tank journal to document the process (and will be looking for plant and equipment suggestions eventually).

In the meantime, I am trying to decide on how to stock it. I'm not trying for any particular biotype and so don't mind mixing critters from different continents. The tank will be in the dinning room and will need to look nice to the wife and visitors.

I really like inverts and so will want shrimp and snails. I also love catfish, but the selection is limited considering I want shrimp. I also want a varienty of behavior from the inhabitants of the tank, and lastly, I love oddballs and unusual fish.

Preparing a stocking list is a bit of a challenge...

So I am thinking along the lines of the following:

- a school of Harlequin Rasbora
- a group of marble hatchets
- a pair of blue rams
- cherry red shrimp
- a group of corys
- maybe a Farlowella?

Not very unusual for the most part...and I'm not sure about the rams and shrimp...

Any thoughts and/or comments would be very welcome!

Thanks,
EC

·
Registered
780 Posts
Marble hatchets need soft water and can be difficult-impossible to feed with flakes. Wingless fruit flies are a good bet for feeding them live food. If you want a surface-dweller African butterfly fish would be easier to maintain than the hatchets. (Also have the oddball appeal...) Both species are jumpers, tank needs a tight cover w/out any openings large enough for fish to fit through.
The farlowella would be best brought in after the tank is well established.
Shrimp aren't likely to last long-term with Ram's; even if they don't get the adults the younger ones will be eaten. Bolivian Ram's are generally hardier than GBR's.
Personally I'd stock a school of Columbian tetras rather than the rasboras. They're larger, more colorful, and therefore more visible for a display tank.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 40 breeder with 2 rasboras, 1 cory (i'm about to get some more), 3 neon tetras, 3 puffers and 4 GBR. I have never had a problem with any of them getting along. The cory loves to follow my GBR around (probably because I don't have any more corys in the tank for him to hang around with). As for the GBR and the shrimps, I don't think the shrimps would last would very long. I have to agree with toddnbecka, with the idea of getting something other than rasboras only because they are so small and mine are always swimming at the top of the tank, you can't see them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.