The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what other people thought of the Current LED Plus Pro lights? I picked up some of the non-pro's, and I really like the idea of a built in timer to fade from moon light to day light.

Will this 18"-24" lighting setup be enough for my aquarium? I'm going to be doing an aquascaped planted setup with either an eheim 2215 or 2217.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I have 3 Satelites+ on my 18" cube running of a single Double Ramp Timer. I love these lights, except I need so many.

I am checking the new PRO and I am still not convinced that a single fixture is enough coverage for 18" front to back tanks.
Do share your experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Plus Pro on a 18x18x24 planted vivarium and found that it is very bright, in fact too bright for the orchids, tropical plants and mosses I'm growing so I turned it down to about 60%. However it's spread is too narrow for the 18x18 footprint so I had to pair it with a power compact I had. The light is definitely designed for long narrow aquariums, having to invest in two of these just to get good coverage doesn't seem like a good investment too me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. The narrow beam was also a concern of mine. I was initially wanting to put a couple T5's atop the tank, since I know LED's kind of spotlight more or less. I really don't want to have to dump $150 x 2 to be able to get decent light spread.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
+1

Thank you people for the feedback - very useful and timely.

I don't think 2 x $240 is in my budget for a 40B footprint 😟

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
What do they run?

Jeebus, $250-300. I'm not trying to grow coral here...!
Don't know of any "pendant style" lights that aren't overly expensive.

Best to look at either 2 cheaper 20" (size is a restriction as well) or hanging an LED spot or flood over the tank (beam angle will be important here)
[email protected]" fspec LED's will get you lowish light:
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright
higher light w/ 2 of these:
LED Aquarium Lighting by BeamsWork
Mix and match.. ;)

One of the 6500k may work. Best to pop the lenses off the 2 outside rows though..
$35............

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you already have one, consider raising it up higher over the tank so its footprint is larger. Risers, or maybe attached to a shelf over the tank.

It is bright enough that you will still get a lot of light if you raise it up some. Don't know if you are planning to go high tech with CO2 and all, but if you aren't, you'll probably want to dim the light anyway if you aren't raising it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I already have the LED set in my possession.

Dimming the light is feasible. I'm not certain on the CO2 front as of yet, but it's certainly a possibility depending on the plant load I decide to put in the aquarium.

I'll need to weigh my options once I get my tank stand completed. I haven't even finalized my ideas for scaping yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 3 Satelites+ on my 18" cube running of a single Double Ramp Timer. I love these lights, except I need so many.

I am checking the new PRO and I am still not convinced that a single fixture is enough coverage for 18" front to back tanks.
Do share your experience.
Local fish store was having an anniversary sale today. Gave me a 15% discount on a pair of Satellite Plus Pro's which were already under Amazon prices ($135). I traded in my Plus and picked up the pair.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Thanks all for ideas.

My 18" cube is all set with the 3 Planted+, as per my post above - money already spent. Part of my interest in this thread is that I need light for a new 90P, which is 18" cube x2 in footprint. The PRO are $240 for 36" and I just cannot bring myself to spend some $500 for two for what is essentially a 40B tank.

For me, pendant suspension off the ceiling is not practical at 12' height. Suspension off the cabinet would still mean 2 fixtures. So, I will either get 2 Satelites+ and have a low light tank or go back to t5ho.

Back to scratching my head ☺

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Thanks all for ideas.

My 18" cube is all set with the 3 Planted+, as per my post above - money already spent. Part of my interest in this thread is that I need light for a new 90P, which is 18" cube x2 in footprint. The PRO are $240 for 36" and I just cannot bring myself to spend some $500 for two for what is essentially a 40B tank.

For me, pendant suspension off the ceiling is not practical at 12' height. Suspension off the cabinet would still mean 2 fixtures. So, I will either get 2 Satelites+ and have a low light tank or go back to t5ho.

Back to scratching my head ☺
Why are you ruling out pendants???

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
The primary reason being the tank in the middle of the room under 12' ceiling. And then the power cord snaking down. I could add a power outlet in the ceiling, well, maybe.

Where can I check the pendants in your pictures? Thanks much.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The primary reason being the tank in the middle of the room under 12' ceiling. And then the power cord snaking down. I could add a power outlet in the ceiling, well, maybe.

Where can I check the pendants in your pictures? Thanks much.
2x Current Satellite Plus Pro's are still less expensive than the single HALO pendant, and have far more adjustability in their spectrum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.