The Planted Tank Forum banner

30g peaceful tank hates plecos?

1190 11
Hello! I would really love some help. I have a 30g planted tank, with Anubis nana and red crypts. Driftwood and hardscape galore! Airstone running, filter chugging, heater heating to a peachy 79 degrees.The gravel is a planted tank substrate, blackish brown in color. I have a small school of 5 or 6 Corydoras (they breed, can't really get a good read of home many live there now) and about 5 adult Platys and various stages of fry. This tank is mature, about 1 1/2 years old. On Monday I added an inch long albino bristle nosed pleco. Cute little guy, got him temperature acclimated and set him free. I added a little bit of lettuce in there for the fellah and went about my day. This morning, he and one of my corys, are dead. First thing I did was check the levels in the tank. pH 7.6, Nitrate/Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0. I mean the pH is a little high but nothing crazy, right? These fish are very hardy and no one else in the tank seems affected. It seems like he ate the lettuce a bit as well. It was washed before being added to the tank. Am I doing something wrong? I just want to check before I get another one. Don't want to torture them. Also. The cory that died was from my old 10g that was 4ish years old, so him passing wasn't as jarring as the pleco. Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you quarantine the pleco before adding it? It could be possible that it brought in some sort of pathogen that in the stress of acclimating it died and the older cory may have already been compromised and was susceptible to disease. Just a theory, it shouldn't be your pH, that is nothing close to high for a BN pleco (I keep some breeding BN's at 8.4 and they seem perfectly happy). Although I am concerned that your Nitrates are at 0, they should be higher, I would keep a close eye on your parameters for the next week to make sure nothing happened and that you aren't undergoing a mini cycle for whatever reason.
I would wait at least a week if not 2 before looking to introduce fish again, make sure you have no other deaths/observe carefully to see if you see any sign of parasite/bacteria.
Obviously this is just my opinion, maybe someone has other ideas?

Maybe recheck parameters, if you accidentally reset your cycle you should see ammonia build up here soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! Could be possible, that it's a lemon. I did a water change just in case, and I'll recheck this afternoon. I feed the tank pretty heavily for the fry, so the Nitrate is a bit odd. I'll definitely wait, don't want to risk it. I don't really quarantine since I don't have space for a separate set up. Some day, when I have a fish room. I do have a spare 10g that I could try to set up somewhere, my husband won't be thrilled though haha.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree it is not the pH. I have two albino bristle nose plecos and keep them at a pH of 7.7 and they are doing great. I also think its a bit odd your nitrates are at 0...

Kinda weird one of your corys died. I don't know what pathogen would spread and kill in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again! So last night I moved the tank into the living room and did a 75% water change. This morning I checked the readings, still the same. Nitrates are below a 5 but above a 0. I never clean anything in this tank other than the water and occasionally rinse out the filter. All the fish and fry seem happy and healthy. Eating well at least, and no signs of disease. Maybe my test kit sucks? I use the API master kit. Thanks for helping me, I hope the next pleco fairs better. I'm going to set up a small quarantine tank with a 10g, airstone and sponge filter. Is that enough for a pleco? Or would it do better as a pair?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I keep /breed/trade albino long finned bristlenose at 75 degree's F and pH around 7.6 with 12dgh.
At one inch, they are not long from the breeding cave and are nearly always hungry.
I feed algae wafer's,New life spectrum pellet's,Zuchinni sliced long way's.
Try to find some plecos a little larger, and who's bellie's look round like the end of a Q-tip rather than flat or concave, which could be sign they are emaciated, or harboring parasite's.
Acclimate for temp about 20 minutes, and then carefully net the fish from acclimation bag or bucket and gently turn it loose in the tank.
Throw away water that was in bag or bucket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I registered to to mention this. ALL Plecostomus Catfish will grow quite large and need a pretty big tank to live in. They start out as cute little guys in the pet shop but will end up being 24" long at the end of their growth. A 2 foot fish is obviously not going to be comfortable in a 30 (or 55) gallon tank. I'd say minimum size would be 125 and even that would be a bit small. Way too many people have Plecos in small tanks not knowing that eventually it's going to be like housing an NBA center in a Japanese tube hotel room. Not exactly the ideal situation. I admit I once owned a couple of 9-10" plecos in a 55 when I was first starting out. I simply didn't know any better. Someone told me so I have passed the knowledge down like any good fishkeeper would do. What you do from here is up to you, just remember there is a giant peaceful fish in your tank. Whatever you do...don't replace him with a red tailed catfish!

·
Registered
151 Posts
BN or Bristlenose pleco's tend to max out at about 6ish inches, the largest I have ever seen was 7.5 inches. My understanding and experience is that this is the maximum size for BN regardless of tank size (meaning if you put one in a 200g it will still only max out at around 6 in.)I could be wrong, but I think you might be thinking that OP has a common pleco or other species of pleco.
There are plenty of species of pleco that remain fairly small throughout their lifespan even if given the proper space to grow larger.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Dozen's of pleco's that seldom reach 7 inches ,but imposed rules on their collection/export from countries outside the U.S. make some of them tough to get hold of.
www.planetcatfish.com is good source for info on the hundred's of species,and aquabid sometimes list's more rare ones from breeder's here in U.S. along with maybe a couple websites?
Always interested in new sources for these industrious fishes.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I had a couple dud ABN plecos. I started with 5 in my 150. Two died within 2 days.. the remaining 3 were happy for about a year until a pair formed and they started breeding. The second male ABN was dead 3 days later. It's been about 6 months since and no problems. No fry make it as they are in a tank with Haps and Peacocks, but the largest is less than 4 inches at 2 years old. I seriously doubt he will hit 5. The female is less than 3 at the same age. She won't hit 4". These fish stay small, but as with most heavily line bred fish there are some duds that become too stressed through shipping and acclimation and just don't make it. The Cory could be coincidence or it could be a pathogen. Monitor the tank for a week or so. Quarantine is a good idea if at all possible... but it's accepted that you have a decent chance of losses on new fish..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the helpful tips! So I decided to try it again, this time, mini quarantine. I went to petshmo and picked up a little lady. I set up my spare 10g with my seasoned driftwood, an air stone, and a heater. She spent a week in there with 75% water changes daily and she has a nice, fat belly. (Curtesy of a lot of algae wafers and shrimp pellets) I'm tempature acclimating her currently in a baggie to the main tank just in case. Fingers crossed!! And yes she is an Albino Bristlenose, although I was very tempted by the royal pleco.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.