Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here it is.

JBJ 30G
JBJ 24" FORMOSA DX LIGHT w/ x2 65w 10k daylights
EHEIM 2133 Canister Filter
Press CO2

Cant name off the plants <---Newbie (shoulda wrote them down heh)
and of course: x2 7lb driftwoods

Heres the pics: Gonna be addings more plants next week as well as 3 discus as well as a school of cardinal tetras.

Cheers.
Adam

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
more plants more plants....you will be able to grow pretty much anything with this. Are you dosing ferts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. i am "dosing ferts." lol. Such funny terms here. I will be "feeding my plants" once every two weeks. (1 bottle cap full)

I will probably make a floor soon as well as a bigger piece of drift wood. its a very tall tank. I really dont know how the plants I have in now are gonna spread...got any ideas on filler plants?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discus in a 30 gallon tank? I guess I never really looked into them much, but didn't have any idea that they could be kept in a tank of that size.

I haven't spent much time on simplydiscus.com, but is there any issue with just keeping a single discus in a 30 or 40 gallon tank?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely more plants... have you thought of an scavenger crew (aka bottomfeeders)?

·
Registered
247 Posts
the smallest tank for a discus i was told is a 55 gallon.
beleave it or not they like to swim around too.

also they need the space not only becuse they get big but
they are cichlids they like to have there space just like all cichlids.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Adam:

First...rid yourself of the discus idea. I don't think this is the best environment for one of those <or two> Instead keep your temp at around 79 and do the tetras and pleco and add either some amano shrimp and/or some otocinclus and you will be set in the fish department.
Dosing ferts: Adding a "capful" every week aint gonna cut it son.
You have CO2 and decent light, you will need to dose macros and traces. I am not sure what the capful is of anyway.
Plants: Since it is tall, I can see some Cyperus helferi in the background lilting to the waterline, and some thin-leaf java fern midground on a piece of hardscape wither rock or stone, then some Lobelia cardinalis small-form bunched in the left corner foreground along with a nice tuft of Christmas moss on the end of said hardscape and the right foreground let some Hemianthius micranthemoidesbunch up and sill over.....wow I was pretty specific huh? I have these visions....lolol
check out Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Planted Aquariums, and Aquarium Plant Fertilizer and order you some dry ferts and do a search on EI Estimative dosing, or check out the sticky in water parameters regarding fertilization. You will need a light version of this type of fert schedule for your plants to do well. <I say light version because you don't have too too much light that would require a full EI schedule IMO>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im running my lights on a timer right now. for about 6-7 hours a day. Now is it okay to run the CO2 for that length as well? I've got them both plugged into an auto timer that starts at 8am and 2-3pm.

Is this a problem or did I do okay for a newb? I know you gotta run CO2 while your running the lights, just dont know how long you gotta run the CO2.

Can someone clarify.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
93 Posts
you gotta check your ph levels, most notably your 'dissolved' co2 rate, dependant on your kh. long story short, if you get a ph 'drop checker' (do a search and you'll find tons on them) then you'll be able to easily monitor how much co2 you need/don't need.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok guys. Dont worry. I go and pick up more plants on monday. Planning on spending a good 60+ on plants amongst other things.

Here are some updated photos of what me and my friend nino did tonight:

1) Cleared out the tank completely:

2)Tested the water:

Yay for yellow! Tanks good to go!

3)Boiled alot of water to clean off the HUGE driftwood I bought to fill up my tank..:

Me with some wood....driftwood:

4)While the water was boiling...Hooked up the brand new 60g Playstation 3.

5)WE GOT A FLOATER!!..This drift wood was pretty heavy. Yet still floated lol:

6)Free'd the fish:

x3 - Marble Angel's
x6 - Cardinals
x2 - almost adult pudge nose

7)Pretty much done. Just lettin the fish and the tank do the work for itself..:

**DONT WORRY!** PUTTING MORE PLANTS IN MONDAY!**

8) AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE...WE CRACKED OPEN SOME SAM ADAMS. POPPED IN A BLUE RAY DVD (BEHIND ENEMY LINES) ON THE PS3. AND ENJOY'D THE HD GOODNESS ON MY NEW 40" 1080P SAMSUNG FLAT SCREEN. *dont worry. i have 360 too. thats my baby*

WOOT!:

I will post newer pictures once i get the plants in on monday.

Cheers, and good night.
Adam
Orange, CA

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
looks good...beware of the green one with the white margins...I believe tha is a terrestrial and will end up rotting~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts