The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I boiled and put in a good looking hunk of grapevine. This afternoon I came home and all the water is milky white - even though the fish appear fine.

Any ideas?

EIT: the fish that I can see are fine. Its that bad.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
New one on me so not necessarilly qualified as an experienced answer bt it came out of the wood into the water so get rid of the water. But if the fish(so far) look fine I
wouldn't do more than a 50% WC. And then give it about three more days till another
50%. I'm guessing that if you had access to a different place to keep the fish they
would already be there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard of anyone using grapevine before
Neither had the guys at the LFS - but it has some fantastic coloration and I figured that if I could boil the hell out of it and waterlog it, why not?

I did a huge water change an hour or so ago. It might be going white again. If it does, I'm going to soak it in my bathtub for a few days until it stops. Or buy new wood.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Reading online the grapevine intially will mirk/milk the water, that's apparently the tannins coming out of it.

I found this quote on another forum, can't link it but i will quote it, it's specially in regards to if grapevine is safe to use in an aquarium from 9/19/05 so take it with a grain of salt-
Yes.
Some speciality places sell awesome looking huge pieces sandblasted.
Soak good, they may need a little help keeoping them down initially, but after a few weeks/months, they get water logged.

Regards,
Tom Barr
There have been reports of "grapevine" deteriorating underwater faster than other driftwood and reports that it lasts just as long as any other driftwood out there.

Do water changes or take it out to soak seperately until it stops leaching and it should be fine. No indications the leaching/milkiness is bad for the fish though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reading online the grapevine intially will mirk/milk the water, that's apparently the tannins coming out of it.

I found this quote on another forum, can't link it but i will quote it, it's specially in regards to if grapevine is safe to use in an aquarium from 9/19/05 so take it with a grain of salt-

There have been reports of "grapevine" deteriorating underwater faster than other driftwood and reports that it lasts just as long as any other driftwood out there.

Do water changes or take it out to soak seperately until it stops leaching and it should be fine. No indications the leaching/milkiness is bad for the fish though.
Glad it won't hurt the fish. My grapevine waterlogged in only minutes, though

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the wood out and it was coated in a thick, snot like mucus. I'm boiling the hell out of it in salt water (aquarium salt) now.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
the snotlike bacteria are nothing to worry about and is perfectly normal. its actually a good snack for many fish, all driftwood does it. its the bacterial elements coming out of the wood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the snotlike bacteria are nothing to worry about and is perfectly normal. its actually a good snack for many fish, all driftwood does it. its the bacterial elements coming out of the wood.
Yes but when its producing so much that I literally cannot see my fish, its a problem haha

Its been boiling for a while now - and there's a lot of foam coming off of it now

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Grapevine is fine to use in the tank, its actually a pretty good wood long term. It is extremely sappy though and unless drained and dried for a long while it will cloud your water like that as all the sugars leach out into the water where bacteria eats them up and blooms.

Should clear up relatively soon, though watch out for green water. It usually follows a large white bacterial bloom.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you name a fish that expressly eats it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts