The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, here we go again. Plan is to try my hand at a Dutch-Style scape. It'll be months before I get it up and running. Still have to water test the tank overnight etc.

Substrate : Miracle-Gro Raised Garden Bed Soil. Capped with 1240 Black Diamond blasting sand 'Medium grit'.
Hardscape : N/A
Lighting : Undecided but will go >80 par
Co2 : Yes(I'm looking at another Ista Turbo Reactor)
Filter : Eheim eco pro 2236 (This is what got me started)
Flora : Whatever I have in my 22 gallon
Fauna : Undecided

Tank : 36x18x12 (35.5x18x11.75 inner dimensions) Roughly 32 gallons.

Almost got a 40 Breeder. But I've been spoiled with rimless lately. I had extra 36x12x12 1/4" glass from my previous builds. Had to order the bottom 36x18 and the two front/back braces 36x3 from a local glass shop. Here's the Mock-up and then the finished product.




Also built the stand. I used 1" thick wood so it's not very heavy. 1/2" ply for the top and edge glued board for the bottom shelf. I'm very partial to Danish oil so that's what went on there at the end.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gorgeous, the tank and the stand! Looking forward to seeing this one scaped!
Thanks! Don't hold your breath though. Still trying to figure it all out in my head. Hoping that I can gather most everything in the upcoming months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice build!
how much did you spend on the glass? what silicone did you use?

did you get the edges polished?
Hello. Here at my local glass shop its $6.95/sqft of 1/4" glass and they charge extra for seamed edges. So the bottom sheet(35.5x18) and the 2 braces(36x3) it came out to about $68.

The 36x12 sheets I found on craigslist. So I used those for the front, back and sides. I cut one sheet of the 36x12 directly in half so I can get 2 sheets of 18x12s for the sides. I wet sanded the sharp edges under water with 400 grit sandpaper. I wrapped the sandpaper around a piece of wood so I don't accidentally cut myself.

I used GE Silicone 1. I did the silicone injection method. They have tutorials on Youtube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I waited about a week for the silicone to cure. So I decided to do an overnight water test on my tank.



I kept water all night. I should probably test it some more, but I feel confident that it will be fine. Only time will tell. Here's the tank on the stand.



I'll move it to its new location most likely this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went home for lunch to meet up with some insurance adjusters. Or so I thought. We had some hailstorms here in Central Illinois nearly 2 months ago. We were hit twice in the same week.

Had the appointment setup for 10AM. Left work at 9:46 so I could make it on time. Arrived home and waited. I checked the time and looked outside, 10:20 and no one was there. So I contacted our adjuster only to find out they moved the inspection date to Sept 2nd. Good to know! Ah well. I did this since I had extra time.









I hope the paint adhered properly. I cleaned the glass surface with Acetone, let it dry and then proceeded to paint. It was dry enough to handle the tank before I had to go back to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just read up on your 22 Long! I'm looking forward to seeing this tank progress!
Thank you. I'll be updating the 22 journal probably next week.

This looks great! I have a tank with a similar foot print and I’m really loving all the surface area!

I’ll have to check out your other tank too!

I’m glad to see you going with dirt, I feel like you get great results.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yes. I'm a firm believer in dirted tanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I actually do have some updates! I sifted some dirt for the tank and then my wife joined me :laugh2:. Tedious at best but worth the effort IMO. My wife and I also moved the setup into its final location in our basement.

I found a 2ft fluorescent t5ho on the side of the street! Bad news is one of the ballasts is shot but I found a suitable replacement through amazon. After seeing the bulbs combination thread, it solidified what I want for this setup. I was debating whether or not to get LED lighting or stick with this 4 bulb fixture.

So here's some pictures from last weekend.

Chunks galore.



My very precise sifter(JK it's an oil splash guard for frying pans)



Final sifted product.



Here's the grow light I found. Might paint it black eventually.



Tank's new home. Not too far from my 22 Gallon.





I didn't take a photo of inside the tank yet. I've placed about 1" of dry sifted dirt in there so far. I think I will stick with that for now.
 
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Top