The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping Red Cherry Shrimp in a 10G tank with only a sponge filter, heater and a lot of Java Moss. I have no substrate in this tank. The shrimp have been breeding well since I see shrimp on the glass that are smaller than I put in the tanks. I have pulled a few adults out and added them to my 50G planted community tank.

I finally have the equipment for a 30G Breeder that I will use only for keeping shrimp. My initial plan was to set this up identical to the 10G since that seems to be working...i.e no substrate. I will add Java Moss and add some Java Fern tied to a piece of "fake" PetsMart brand driftwood. Neither of these plants require substrate.

I have everything in place and now I am wondering if having no substrate is the best thing for breeding these shrimp. While I have had some success with no substrate 10G I want to get the opinion of those who breed RCS in the hundreds.

Substrate or no subtrate?

If a thin layer of substrate would work better than bare glass, I want to add it before I move any shrimp to the new tank.

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would recomend a thin layer of something, it just looks better for one thing, And it gives something else to walk on with texture, and lots of other goodies for them to pick thru. You could also just add some leaves, seen this and it seems to look nice and they like eating them!

But no, as you've found it isn't required!

-Andrew

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd recommend just enough to cover the bottom, thin enough that debris doesn't accumulate too much. I have a mix of gravel and crushed coral in my 10 and 30 gallon tanks, and have to siphon the gravel to release the gas bubbles that form. There are MTS in both tanks, but they don't stir the substrate well enough to keep it aerated sufficiently.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went to my LFS looking for plain inert black gravel for a thin layer. He had an open bag of CaribSea African Cichlid Mix that he let me have for $5. It is a dark charcoal gray color. There should be enough to lay down a nice thin layer.

I currently add crushed coral to my 10 gallon (suggested by toddnbecka...thanks!) because of the VERY soft and low pH values of my tap water. According to the bag, this is supposed to provide a natural buffer at around 7.6 pH. So this should replace the need for the crushed coral. Can anyone think why this substrate would be bad to use? I was just considering the buffering. It has a grain size between 5mm and 10mm which is definetly larger than plain gravel. I can always return it and get plain black gravel.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
780 Posts
It should be fine for the shrimp, they aren't particular about grain size. Just don't forget to cycle the tank before moving the shrimp...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.