The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Time to show one of my next projects.

It will be a very low tech set up, with easy maintenance plants.
Set up:
Tank: 30x30x30cm DIY
Filtration: Aquaclear 20 HOB
Lighting: 16w t5 (2x8w)
Substrate: river sand
Hardscape: some river pebbles and Red Moor Wood

Flora:Java fern “Narrow leaf”, anubias nana, anubias nana “petite” and vesicularia ferriei (weeping moss).

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I were a fish, that's where I'd want to live.

Your layout is simple, yet my eyes never seem to get bored looking at it. I hope to see updates on this as it grows. Did you build this tank?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were a fish, that's where I'd want to live.

Your layout is simple, yet my eyes never seem to get bored looking at it. I hope to see updates on this as it grows. Did you build this tank?
Hi cintamas,
Thanks for your reply...glad you like it if you were a fish :).

I build this tank about one year ago for a dedicated cryptocoryne tank, but I gave up of that idea, because I already had one.

Today I add few small plantlets of bolbitis heudeloti to the cube.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started to add some ferts to the tank. Macronutrients (NPK) are diy. Micronutrients belong to Tropica AquaCare and bought as well a small bottle of Seachem Excel.

Looking back to the tank it looks pretty ''funny'' and almost bare. Will add more plants tomorrow.

Need to find a decent grade pea size gravel to give a better transition between pebbles and sand. If I fail on that search, I will simply pour more sand on top of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am just getting into Nano Planted tanks(only bought the tank) and this is inspirational. :) Can't wait to see how it goes!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Looks cool especialy since I havent seen many desgins like it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
3 weeks passed since I set up the cube.
Plants are growing slowly but nicely, without any major concerns.
Because I didn't have a specfic clean up crew to clean and remove debris from the plants leaves, I decided to add a small colony of red cherry shrimp.

The filter shrimp aka vampire shrimp it's very nice sight, since it likes to move pebbles and gravel around to get some cover and hide when it feels threatened.

This is how the cube looks like after 3 weeks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice clean scape. I love it!
Thanks. Glad you like it.

Mind if I asked where did you get that light setup?
It's a Boyu lighting system. For what I know a few very known brands from Germany, use their products but they stick their own labels.
Why should I pay 3x more, when I can use the same product a lot cheaper.

You can find it on ebay, from Hong Kong. Just look for Boyu luminaires or lighting systems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks. I have heard of Boyu. I will definitely check it out on eBay.

Thanks. Glad you like it.

It's a Boyu lighting system. For what I know a few very known brands from Germany, use their products but they stick their own labels.
Why should I pay 3x more, when I can use the same product a lot cheaper.

You can find it on ebay, from Hong Kong. Just look for Boyu luminaires or lighting systems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Simplicity and elegance. What a great scape, very peaceful to look at. I love that you went with a river sand substrate rather than something uniform in color like Aquasoil. The smooth stones are fabulous too.
Hi,
Thanks for your kind words...

Small update...
Lately I'm not having the usual free time to take care of my tanks, properly and one of the results, it's a filthy tank with glass not looking that good :tongue: :redface:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts