The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be remodelling my 9G Eheim Cube and I'm looking for recommendations for a good background plant that isn't a stem plant. The water column is just a little less than 30cm (or 1 foot) and this is a low to medium tech tank. Stem plants have proven to be to much of a pain with the trimming and the loss of leaves when I forget to fertilize regularly. I've tried Vallisneria (one of the shorter corkscrew varieties ... unfortunately I don't recall the exact scientific name) however it never got more than 6 inches tall. I might try looking for another val species to try but I'm also looking for other suggestions to consider.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm really liking the Aponogeton idea (I've had Aponogeton crispus before in a 55G I had a few years back). I'm just wondering if there is any species in the Aponogeton family that wouldn't grow way to large for a 9G cube? I know most are listed as around 2 feet tall. Is this a species that would grow taller or shorter based on available water column or light levels?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been doing more research on plant choices and I'm thinking of maybe trying Cyperus helferi as a background plant. I've had it before in a 20G a few years back and I liked it. I'm just not 100% if it will be small enough for a 9G with about 30cm of water column.

Thanks,
Harry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.