The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a failing HOB filter on my discus tank. This is a bare bottom non planted tank about 50 gallons, probably a little less than that. I've been looking to get a canister filter.
Localy, I can get a fluval 304 on clearance for 99 canadian, the 305 is 170. This looks like a pretty good deal.
An XP2 would cost 104 canadian online.

I'd like some sugesstions in choosing between the two.
The ecco 2234 is also a consideration but it would cost a little bit more.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I have a Fluval 304 and a Eheim Ecco 2232 and I like the Eheim much better. Easier to prime and easier to maintain. If it were me I would go with the Eheim even though it costs a little more..

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have an XP3 and a Fluval 204. They are not equivalent, but their functionality is the same as the counterparts. I don't like the ribbed hoses of the Fluvals. The Filstars have smooth hoses. Both are fairly easy to use, but the basket system in the XP's are superior. You also get the spraybar, whereas you have to buy the spraybar kit for Fluval. I think the Fluval design also allows for bypass once the filter starts getting clogged. That's a topic that's been discussed here before. If the price difference is not much, then I would choose the XP2.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you looked on ebay. theres some really good deals

I've checked ebay but the thing you might not know is that it costs usually double for shipping to Canada compared to shipping to the US. Then ontop of that, if they use ups as most sellers do, there is a brokerage fee of 30 dollars and up, then there is tax and then there is a COD for collecting the brokerage and tax at your door. last year i bought a cell phone on ebay and ended up paying 90 dollars ontop of what i thought it would cost me.

I think I'll be geting an xp2. From reading various threads, it seems most people don't like the ecco models, and the fluvals are not regared very well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you looked at Petsandponds? You can get an Eheim 2213 for $100.

PETSANDPONDS.COM - Eheim 2213 Classic Plus Kit With Free Double Tap Valves & Full Media Set - ClicShop

But you can't go wrong with an XP2 if you can get it for a good price. Unfortunately, they seem to be pricey locally. I see Petsandponds sells it for $105.

The only difference is that the Eheim doesn't come with media for that price, and the XP2 comes with media for that price.

Actually thats exactly where i was planing on geting it.
I belive that 2213 kit does come with full media. It even says so in your link.
I hadn't considered the classic eheims because they look less modern and they dont have multiple baskets as the other eheims and renas have. I need a filter that is easily cleaned. I think i'll be cleaning more frequent than most people because i feed my discus raw beef heart and the water can get dirty very quickly. I also would like the abiltiy to slow down the output incase the discus dont like the current.

I think i read that the clasic models dont even have baskets and you can't throttle back the output. is this true?

I guess now i need to consider the 2213 classic. Any new opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think the XP3 would be best, as it's a discus tank. I always go for the model abive though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Oops on the 2213 media. :p

The classics do not have baskets, so they are tougher to clean than the newer ones.

If you are worried about current, use a spraybar and point it at the glass where it's attached. That would reduce the current, but not the flow.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My 2213 has a basket, and it came with media. also came with double tap connectors. Cleaning it is easy. And it is dead silent

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I love my XP2. Basically silent, adjustable flow, easy to set up, wide range of medias, etc.

I'd recommend Filstars to anyone.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have Eheim 2028 ,Magnum 350 ,,and fluval 304.never had any experience with XP filters but of the 3 filters I have for sure Eheim is by far the best in every way but expensive.
My advice to anybody who is wondering about the quality of Fluval filters?buy one ,you will not regret it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts