The Planted Tank Forum banner

301 - 320 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
What is petaquaria? 🙂 would be good to know

It’s liveaquaria.com. Was a great company who was bought by petco. Quality appears to have gone down.

In their defense - I spoke with two local stores who said rummynose ship poorly and they have similar loss characteristics when first getting them in. Once you’ve gotten through that die off they are pretty hardy. It’s really hard to find Rummynose in bulk. I had an order with a different company who is said to breed fish who kept delaying the order. Finally, they told me their order was going to be coming in on a Tuesday and they would ship to me on Wednesday. Maybe it was just wording but I Thought it was pretty apparent they were just trans shipping. If that was how the fish were coming in I figured better just to deal with petco for the lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
fftfk,

Great job on your tank and the internals. I love watching this site, not only for the scaping ideas but also for these journals so you get to see the pixie dust behind the magical tanks you guys let us enjoy.

The carpet of grass is amazing, I've tried and failed 3 times to grow grass due to my fish selection, so I'm very jealous.

Wish you the best going forward and keep up the great work and posts!

Brian

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
the hairgrass looks so nice! I have the dwarf version so it's only an inch tall but this looks like a beautiful lawn!

Sorry to hear about the tetras. yeah, they're finicky but seems like you were able to maintain some.

How are you feeling about the tank growing in? feel like it's what you had imagined or are you wanting to change any part of the scape?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
the hairgrass looks so nice! I have the dwarf version so it's only an inch tall but this looks like a beautiful lawn!

Sorry to hear about the tetras. yeah, they're finicky but seems like you were able to maintain some.

How are you feeling about the tank growing in? feel like it's what you had imagined or are you wanting to change any part of the scape?

It’s funny you should ask as I did a little rescaling today. I am happy with how the hair grass has grown in. Due to the 24 inch depth of the tank it is a hassle to trim and the clippings get everywhere but very worth it.

I’m happy with the Ludwigia but will probably end up pulling most of it out at some point. It is pretty but just gets too tall. When I made my plan it was based on the swords being the tallest in the tank.

The Rotala Indica is a weed invented by the devil. That stuff just grows everywhere. It worked at the beginning to soak up nutrients but now it is out of control. I tore a bunch out today and replaced with Ludwigia clippings in order to start getting rid and open up a lot more flow in the tank.

I’ve got my power head turned up higher to get some more water flow to help clean out some of the detritus that has built up. Does anyone have an effective manner of vacuuming substrate while keeping water in the tank? I bought one of those “water vacuums” off amazon and it clogs every 20 seconds.

The water is cloudy due to pulling up all the rotala.

This last photo - keep in mind both the rotala and ludwigia were grown to the surface of the water to get an idea of how much was cleared out.

I ordered a tissue culture of Eleocharis Parvulus from green leaf aquarium. I’ve never used a tissue culture before so am interested to see how this works.

I also ordered some stuff from them...but that will be another post

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tissue cultures take a bit more time to adapt. Also, there is no apparent root system, which really does not matter, just press a small clump into the substrate with your finger and gravity provides the direction for the roots.

Planting though will be a real pain.

Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve got my power head turned up higher to get some more water flow to help clean out some of the detritus that has built up. Does anyone have an effective manner of vacuuming substrate while keeping water in the tank? I bought one of those “water vacuums” off amazon and it clogs every 20 seconds

The Fluval FX4 / FX6 canister filter has a gravel vac option...basically turn the filter into a vacuum cleaner

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
That is easier to plant and will get rooted quicker. When I dry start, I always do Tissue cultures but when the tank is full of water, I aim for rooted.

Gary

It was much easier the clean and get into the tank...that’s for sure. Weird stuff...it was like plants packed into snot. Definitely cleaner and easier to get into the tank. It will be interesting to see them versus the potted plants...who grows better, etc.

Anyone have any ideas for a way to set a temp on a hose bib? I’ve come to the conclusion I just won’t be able to keep the grass clean enough using the power heads to stir up detritus...I’m going to have to siphon the tank which means refilling directly into the tank via hose. I’ve found inline carbon blocks but trying to figure a way to get the temperature approximately correct. I do t want to dump 150 gallons of 60 or 90 degree water into the tank.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Anyone have any ideas for a way to set a temp on a hose bib? I’ve come to the conclusion I just won’t be able to keep the grass clean enough using the power heads to stir up detritus...I’m going to have to siphon the tank which means refilling directly into the tank via hose. I’ve found inline carbon blocks but trying to figure a way to get the temperature approximately correct. I do t want to dump 150 gallons of 60 or 90 degree water into the tank.

I think if you're able to install a pressure balance valve ( common in many showers and should not be too expensive) then you'll be able to just set the temperature and just run it from there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Battling algae!

I’ve been having a fairly big algae outbreak since August when I hurt my back. I am doing a four day blackout plus a daily 1/3 water change. Additionally, I have turned off fert dosing and am reducing the amount of feeding. I’m fairly certain I was feeding too much. I have an eheim auto feeder and it was set to four rotations daily. I have reduced it to one.

For anyone who has ever done a blackout before - do you turn off or reduce CO2 during it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Phosphate from food plays a major role in algae. I alway keep a bag of phosphate removal in my canister filters.
The black out may kill it off the algae some but Continue feeding fish too much is the main cause

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
how's the shrimp situation? some amanos would do great in there to eat the dying algae
snails?
otos?

what type of algae are you actually seeing?

that sucks about hurting your back, but sounds like you were able to get a lot of stuff automated so the tank wasn't a huge burden

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
how's the shrimp situation? some amanos would do great in there to eat the dying algae
snails?
otos?

what type of algae are you actually seeing?

that sucks about hurting your back, but sounds like you were able to get a lot of stuff automated so the tank wasn't a huge burden

I spent all last weekend siphoning out as much of the algae and detritus as I could from the tank. Additionally I have removed the auto feeder and am feeding by hand every other day.

I just dropped 38 amano shrimp in. 26 small and 12 large. I’m fairly certain the small ones instantly become fish food.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Tank Update...still massively battling Algae. These tank shots are about a month after my last big cleaning. Within 1 week Algae was significantly covering everything again. The current status of the tank is:
  • No ferts added for about 2 months
  • 1 Cube of food during the weekend and two cubes on Wednesday. All food gets eaten within a minute or two.
  • Approximately 50 Gallon water changes twice a week (1/4 - 1/3 tank every week)
  • 4 Gallons per day continuous water change
  • CO2 keeping PH at 7.05 via controller (I switched to keeping CO2 on all day versus just on at during lighting hours.)
  • Parameterd via test kits are fine. I would be surprised if they weren’t though given the amount of plant/algae mass acting as a nutrient sponge.

I am thinking it’s time to do a reboot/rescape. The amount of plants I have should be enough mass to keep algae at bay however it makes it extremely hard to keep the tank clean. I feel a lot of detritus gets trapped no matter how much siphoning I do. It is virtually impossible to siphon the dwarf sag deeply (down near the substrate) without uprooting the plant. With the growth in the back of the tank the a lot of siphoning is done blindly meaning when I can’t see what I’m doing towards the middle of the tank.

Additionally, I think have way too much substrate. I used the calculator to determine how much I needed and dumped it in all at once. The substrate is about 3/4 inches deep on average. I would like to clear a lot out.

My questions - is it time to reboot? I don’t want want to nuke the tank with algaecide given the amount of shrimp that should be in there.

I’m thinking of maybe trying to reuse the swords. Is this advisable? I know they have algae spores on them but overall seem to be Ok.

It would be very hard to take the hard scape wood out of the tank without deconstructing the canopy which I do not want to do. Any advice on cleaning the wood in the tank?

Any other general advice on rebooting a tank?

I keep getting an error trying to post photos. I’ll add the photos in a follow up post.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Photos for previous message.

What i think is interesting about these photos...the large rock appears much cleaner and algae free than it did in previous posts. I think/hope it is because of the amano shrimp I added to the tank but I have not really seen any shrimp on it...In fact, I don't really see them too much at all. I did see two large ones wandering around last week but that is really it since they were added a month ago.

301 - 320 of 355 Posts