The Planted Tank Forum banner

281 - 300 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, that hairgrass! Mine has definitely not carpeted like that. Planted May 12th. It's struggling with some algae right now, which tells me it's not happily growing.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I’m thinking he might be this type: https://aquaticarts.com/products/goyder-river-banded-rainbowfish

I will call the store today and see what they say. I should have gotten it while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely not Goyder River.

There are a few known hybrids out there, sometimes people even make up names for them. Crossing Rainbow is sold in the hobby by some fish farms, but is a hybrid.

Yours is likely this one. Maybe a mix of "Crossing" Rainbow and something else? Who knows. But if you aren't breeding makes little difference.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Wow, that hairgrass! Mine has definitely not carpeted like that. Planted May 12th. It's struggling with some algae right now, which tells me it's not happily growing.

Mine really started taking off and filling in when I started trimming the length. I had some issues with algae as well. It finally seems like I’m getting ahead of it. One thing that helped me with Algae in
The grass in particular is manual removal. I would use a fork and comb the grass plus twirl it up like it was spaghetti. It was a nice meditative activity.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Definitely not Goyder River.

There are a few known hybrids out there, sometimes people even make up names for them. Crossing Rainbow is sold in the hobby by some fish farms, but is a hybrid.

Yours is likely this one. Maybe a mix of "Crossing" Rainbow and something else? Who knows. But if you aren't breeding makes little difference.

I think you might be right on it being a hybrid. That picture is very close to
It.

Question - he is still being a jerk and has claimed about half of the tank as his own. What is the best manner to deal with this? I had two ideas: one - add more of the hybrid variety to lessen/spread out its dominance. Two - remove him from the tank which would also mean catching two more hybrid fish. I could return/exchange him or give him away to another hobbyist.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I think you might be right on it being a hybrid. That picture is very close to
It.

Question - he is still being a jerk and has claimed about half of the tank as his own. What is the best manner to deal with this? I had two ideas: one - add more of the hybrid variety to lessen/spread out its dominance. Two - remove him from the tank which would also mean catching two more hybrid fish. I could return/exchange him or give him away to another hobbyist.
Those hybrids are known to be much more aggressive than pure bred Rainbows, and IMO adding more is unlikely to change that.

Personally I would remove the hybrids, but I am active in the Rainbow fish community and hybrids in general are frowned upon. Breeders go to great lengths to keep species pure and hate to see someone selling these.

A group of top Rainbow breeders have been working with some of the well known fish farms to provide them good stock to breed with. So over the last five years or so there more species available on a wider scale. As a result, there are very few hybrids being sold by LFS anymore. Did you ever contact the seller to find out what they know about them or where they go them from.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. He’s a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own.
I had a 75 gallon heavily planted community tank and one of a small group of White Clouds was from that same "M. Assholis" sub-species. He took over 2\3 of the tank and had the rest of the fish cowering behind plants in the other 1/3. It made me crazy...

I finally managed to trap him by using two nets with some food in one. It took a while but nothing is worse that an agitated tank. I wanted to give him a burial at sea with a one flush salute but the better half of me prevailed and a compassionate LFS owner plopped him back in a tank for some other poor soul to endure.

I suggest relocation but will be in awe if you are able to accomplish that in your beautiful epic sized tank. Please blog that effort if you undertake it!

Best,
Paul

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I had a 75 gallon heavily planted community tank and one of a small group of White Clouds was from that same "M. Assholis" sub-species. He took over 2\3 of the tank and had the rest of the fish cowering behind plants in the other 1/3. It made me crazy...

I finally managed to trap him by using two nets with some food in one. It took a while but nothing is worse that an agitated tank. I wanted to give him a burial at sea with a one flush salute but the better half of me prevailed and a compassionate LFS owner plopped him back in a tank for some other poor soul to endure.

I suggest relocation but will be in awe if you are able to accomplish that in your beautiful epic sized tank. Please blog that effort if you undertake it!

Best,
Paul

I know the pain of catching something I. A tank. I spent 3 months catching a mantis shrimp in my last saltwater tank!

·
Registered
66 Posts
@Crazygar got the video to work 3 posts up. I’m very happy with how the grass came in. I think it’s a combination of the substrate used and trimming it. It really does seem to spread vertically after each trim.

Very nice! Would love a full on shot of the tank...i would watch this for days lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow just read through this whole thing and I have dreamed of doing something on this grand of a scale. Will be a couple years before I can pull something like this off so for now I shall live vicariously through your tank.

Seriously stunning work you are doing here man.

Reactions: fftfk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pretty amazing tank! The cabinetry is especially nice. Would love to see some updated pictures.

Reactions: fftfk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
My apologies for not posting more...I hurt my back severely in early August and am only now getting back to moving around normally. As you can imagine the tank has not seen it’s normal maintenance and became incredibly overgrown. The stem plants were to the water line and then some. They were blocking a lot of the water flow so I had Cyanobacteria outbreak on the grass. I have a fair bit of algae growing in the tank as well.

Today was my first big cleaning in a month. I’m going to do more tomorrow. The hair grass really needs some TLC.

Keep in mind...these are the after pictures. Here’s all of that I cut out:

I really have to start giving this away to people! There were some nice trimmings.

I lost all of the bosemani and one of the mystery hybrid rainbow fish. I’m pretty sure the hybrid bullied them to death as they were constantly hiding. I’m going to catch and give away/return both hybrids. Let me know if you’re in the Chicago area and interested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sorry about your back and your casualties.

Your hairgrass field amazes me every time I see a picture of it. It's stunning: simple but well-done. I have too much collectoritis to have something that vast and beautiful!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
How are the Rummy Nose doing?

Do you have any shrimp or snails to work the algae?

The rummy nose are doing fine. I would say I still have about 1/3. I bought them through Petaquaria so the losses are to be expected but definitely need to get a QT tank going! Financially, I’m still better off than having bought them at the local store which wanted $7 per.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
I'm sorry about your back and your casualties.

Your hairgrass field amazes me every time I see a picture of it. It's stunning: simple but well-done. I have too much collectoritis to have something that vast and beautiful!

Thank you. I got the grass trimmed and cleaned up today. I’m going to siphon/turkey Bastet blast it a few times this week to get all of the detritus out of there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
How are the Rummy Nose doing?

Do you have any shrimp or snails to work the algae?

Forgot your second question...I do have some shrimp but no idea how many. When trimming the grass today I was surprised at how many times guys were in there! Someone had babies.

281 - 300 of 356 Posts