The Planted Tank Forum banner

261 - 280 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I am in Downers Grove (a western suburb of Chicago).

Bump:
Ha, you must live close (ish) to me. Not many Blain's around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Bump:
Excited about the tetras!

are you dumping them straight into the tank?
I'm definitely a big believer on a 2 week quarantine in a spare tank ( even a tupperware works ) just to make sure you can keep an eye on them and they don't impact the rest of the tank or the current inhabitants.

you never know what these new fish can bring with them even if the supplier qt them

I temperature acclimated them and then put them into the tank. I agree about the quarantining but do not have a system set up yet for it. So far they have not been doing great as about 6 have died. I'm really hoping they got injured in transportation and are a full diseased lot. I could not see any evidence of anything wrong with the ones that were pulled out.

Even down 6 they still make for a nice show!
https://youtu.be/ScqrdoqXlTA

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah, you're not too far from me. I'm up about 10 mins west of six flags.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: fftfk

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Ah! Rummy nose -one of my favorite. They are primarily wild-caught so a bit difficult to acclimate to the aquarium. But, once acclimated they are extremely healthy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
man that grass grew in nice, cant wait to see it with the tetras...live video when they're in? :D
@Crazygar got the video to work 3 posts up. I’m very happy with how the grass came in. I think it’s a combination of the substrate used and trimming it. It really does seem to spread vertically after each trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
What is the Bow in this pic? I don't recognize it.

And BTW tank is looking great!!

I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. He’s a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own. Here are all of the other rainbow hiding from him at one of the tank:

And here he is lording over the grass:

I might actually have to capture him in an acclimation box/give him away if this keeps up like this.

Thanks for the comment on the tank. Here are a few full tank shots:

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. He’s a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own. Here are all of the other rainbow hiding from him at one of the tank:
I've see most species available in the hobby, and I don't recognize that one. My guess is he is a hybrid. And that would explain the behavior. Hybrid's are well known to be very aggressive compared to other Bows.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I've see most species available in the hobby, and I don't recognize that one. My guess is he is a hybrid. And that would explain the behavior. Hybrid's are well known to be very aggressive compared to other Bows.

I’m thinking he might be this type: https://aquaticarts.com/products/goyder-river-banded-rainbowfish

I will call the store today and see what they say. I should have gotten it while there.

261 - 280 of 356 Posts