The Planted Tank Forum banner

201 - 220 of 329 Posts

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,618 Posts
Spoke too soon...just walked by my tank and there were 7 of them happy as a clam zipping around the tank. I spent about half an hour looking for them at lunch.

Sneaky bastards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a funny one for you - wife has a 40g cube. Yes, pretty heavily planted but not solid. Had a large (>3" long) Siamese algea eater in there that I wanted to move to another tank. Spent more than an hour looking for him and finally gave up - assumed he jumped out the back. Two days later I see him swimming along the front glass. How is that possible??? LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have a funny one for you - wife has a 40g cube. Yes, pretty heavily planted but not solid. Had a large (>3" long) Siamese algea eater in there that I wanted to move to another tank. Spent more than an hour looking for him and finally gave up - assumed he jumped out the back. Two days later I see him swimming along the front glass. How is that possible??? LOL
My candy stripe loach was missing for months in the 29g bowfront. I searched the tank and even had my hands in there running through the plants. Searched the floor and all around where the tank was in the old room. One day he came out while I was watching.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Some quick updates...I am forgoing the moving bed (for now) as I just can’t figure out a reliable way of keeping the K1 in the sump contained. It just keeps plugging up the 5 mm holes drain holes and causing the water to overflow the top. Because of the center brace in the tank and location of pipes I wasn’t able to fashion anything that could fit into the tank to use as a roof to the moving bed filter. I tried drilling a cutting board and the angles just didn’t work to get it in. I tried wrapping plastic screen around egg crate and still had the same issue. I have captured all the K1 and put them in bags and added porter sponge 10, 20, and 30 PPI) to the sump to provide more bacteria and help polish the water.

The K1 isn’t in bags yet but same idea. A bonus is that the sump is much quieter.

The house was supposed to be built with a dedicated 20 amp circuit. When putting this together realized the original electrician added 20 amp upstairs for the tank but forgot one in the basement. To make matters worse the fish room was on the same circuit as the ejector pit. I had two 20’s added.

I had an electrician do this. I will mess with outlets and switches by there is no way I’m opening the fuse box to add whole circuits. Two 20’s are overkill but wasn’t much extra as they were already running the wire and doing the conduit.

Finally, some people asked condensation issues and were right...I was having some in the tank. I added some computer exhaust fans to help. I currently have them blowing out of the tank but can easily change them if blowing in would be better.

I’m not happy with my sump room. It is just too janky looking as is not up the same standard as the main display. Maybe not soon but some updates to the fish room will be happening.

I still can routinely find 8 of the 9 corries. I think one may not have survived. They have been in the tank for a week now and seem to doing well. The one thing that is very annoying is that they are not aggressive about eating. I drop food in and they don’t seem to make any effort to got get it! I assume they are eating it at some point but have yet to witness it.

I realized when changing socks that I think I have lost a lot of shrimp to the overflow and filter socks. I found five shrimp in the socks when chAnging then yesterday. I saved the 5 but have no idea about how many were lost to the washing machine not realizing they were in There.

Finally - yesterday I noticed a snail explosion in the tank. Tons of baby snails. I know they will be self limiting so not worried yet. Plus - can always get some loaches or assassin snails to take care of them if there get to be too many. (I kind of like the assassin snail idea...I watched some YouTube videos of them and they are really interesting. My biggest concern is scratching the tank with all of them when cleaning it.

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,618 Posts
FWIW, my experience with Cory's is they really don't eat fish food like other fish (especially not like my rainbow fish). The seem much happier swimming along and digging into the substrate for whatever they can find.
Depending on how much food you have added, you likely will have a small snail explosion. As you already noted, usually not a big deal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
A few small additions today...20 more Cory cats and 2 plecos (Alenquer Tiger and Imperial Tiger). All are about an inch or smaller.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
One more -

I wish you could edit Tapatalk!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Bet the Corys will be happy with all there new friends to patrol with.

So far they are a lot more active. It’s fun to watch.

One of the things I was disappointed in with salt water is the lack of ability to have schools of fish in retail aquariums.

I am really looking forward to my next fish purchase but am having a hard time deciding. I was thinking ember tetra but also really like rummy nose tetra and cardinal tetras. As right now I am leaning towards some angel fish eventually it might be better to go with the larger cardinals.

Tomorrow I will be back to Rainbow fish!

·
Registered
35 Posts
1000’s...I started with 20 red, 20 yellow, and 20 blue...
If they are all the same species of neos, they will interbreed and you'll end up with a tank full of brown shrimp. You can call them "chocolate shrimp" if it makes you feel better. That's what I do. After a while large colonies of only a single color will also start to get lots of browns. Keeping them colored up requires catching and culling the brown ones as much as possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For the tank that size you will need at least 200 cardinals to even notice them in there. I had about 50 in my 40 gallon and that was about OK.....
Angels you can have as much as 30 or even a bit more in there with no problems.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just get some Endlers and give them a bit of time. They'll fill the tank up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
If they are all the same species of neos, they will interbreed and you'll end up with a tank full of brown shrimp. You can call them "chocolate shrimp" if it makes you feel better. That's what I do. After a while large colonies of only a single color will also start to get lots of browns. Keeping them colored up requires catching and culling the brown ones as much as possible.

Well - at the rate they are getting sucked into the overflow and meeting their end in the filter socks I may not even have to worry another!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Shrimp are magicians (from genus Houdinius or ChrisAngelicus lol) and it never ceases to amaze me where I find them. I have had batches live in Canister Filters (I called them Filter Shrimp, Neocaridina davidi 'Rena XPus'). When I designing my overflow, I will be not be using teeth, as they seem to be the main reason for Shrimp finding their way into the Sump.

Gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome looking tank! If you don't mind my asking, what are the dimensions on it? I don't remember seeing them mentioned anywhere. I'm looking at getting a 300, but the footprint dimensions I have to work with with mean it'd be 31" tall if I go with the 300, and it occurred to me that height might make planting difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check Silvertip tetras for a great schooling and very active fish. Males really color up nice and they can get to about 2.5 inches. I also have a 300 planted, by no means any comparison to your setup but I have been researching schooling fish for quite a while now. In fact if have several types now that I have been considering. Keep in mind also. There are true schooling fish and shoaling. Very different. For schooling I have been trialing the following: Silvertip, Penguin tetra, Bloodfin tetra and Lambchop Rasbora. All are nice in their own way but I have settled on the silver tips. Cardinals and neons are shoaling not schooling, I believe

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
it would be awesome to have a large school of tetras swimming back and forth
Rummy nose definitely swim back and forth and I've seen them encourage other shy fish to come and swim with them but I have also see them scare off very timid fish.

Since the tank is pretty long some rose line sharks darting back and forth would be awesome!

201 - 220 of 329 Posts