The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has some time tax time ended last week, he needs a good head clearing project LOL wanted to help me build this out. :bounce:
The tank sits on a platform below my 55G which separates 2 rooms. It is in a canopy enclosure that is closed on 2 sides, other 2 back up to the other tank & wall. I'll try to get some pics up later today. The back of the piece is the frame housing the 55G so all of this will be enclosed together.

The actual tank size is 30L 12W 22D. It's narrow but due to the depth I need some really good lights. The canopy interior space above tank is about 4-5" That is all the room for lights. I want good light that penetrated those depth well and will allow strong growth. This tank will be a lush angel tank. The tank is blacked out on 2 side both of which are in the enclosure. This is a unusual piece in that the canopy spans 50" which includes the mechanical area. The build just fits the space.
Theres plenty of room for anything Led night lights, retrofit's..... Will have CO2 & aqua soil I want a beautiful tank. Would like to have open tank...but that is not a requirement. Keep reading about T-5's and light production. The inside of the canopy will be painted white, outside black.
We are about 80% finished with building, tank is in!!!
Will get a build job thread up soon.

So any suggestion on lights???
TY Karen

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
T5HO retrofit kits will definitely be the way to go.

Some places to price them out are www.CatalinaAquarium.com and www.MarineDepot.com. I haven't priced them in a long time, though, so you might find better deals elsewhere.

I'd stay away from Odyssea/Jebo brand, personally.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I'm with you. What wattage since HO. Just a nice medium light. Not low not super high. I have read & read about these just really need some help determining what to buy. TY...

·
Registered
394 Posts
For medium light for a 55G with T5HO I would guess anywhere between 45W to 65-75W would be ok. Depending on reflectors, distance of lights to substrate, etc.

You could try this:
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_7_68&products_id=1437
It's a little more watts than you need, but it gives you lots of flexibility if you wanted to go high tech, or just run 2 of the bulbs, or 2 bulbs on 8 hours with the other 2 coming on for a short burst. It also comes with moonlights.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
No, Coco is asking about lighting for the 30gal tank, not the 55gal.

Since you've got pressurized CO2 I'd go with 2x24" bulbs (which off the top of my head I think are also 24 watts each, if I remember correctly?) You can stagger the kits in the canopy to get more even coverage.

Unfortunately none of us have been able to find 30" T5HO bulbs to date...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was about to do the final fit on the canopy and spoke with Jim at Catalina very nice guy. I have 4" of clearance from tank to hood. OK he mentioned he would stager the lights, brought up the heat issue. Was trying to explain the 2 sides on the tank back are open. He felt with a fan that would be ok. Laurel Thank You!!!!
How hot do T-5 HO run compared to CF. I have a coralife 65W over it till light choice is determine.
So with HO's compared to CF how much brighter would for comparison 2X24 vs 65 CF be?
I am so tired.....2 days of building this, there is a surprise party at our home on Friday night for my Husband....yes surprise.
To top that one we are having storms here and just about the time we were about to have dinner a large tree came down of my SUV, was not in garage due to the build job. We were out in pouring rain chopping this up.... German steel is so thick that is the only reason my SUV was not flattened. What a mess.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You're going to be favorably shocked at the comparison in light and heat versus CF fixtures. T5HOs are incredibly more efficient in converting wattage to usable light instead of wasted heat.

OMG what a mess with the tree, though! So sorry about the SUV (hopefully it's all insured? Check with your homeowner insurance as it may cover if auto does not!) but I'm glad no one was hurt!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having this set up for a few days a retrofit is not looking like an option. In the pic attached you can see the top plane of the enclosure. It lifts off attaching lights to this in my opinion might be a recipe for disaster. Were thinking a light fixture might be the approach. So what should I buy?? We only have about 3.5-4" of clearance for light....
Is there a way to make a diy retrofit that does not attach to canopy??
I've read the coincidental 30" threads that are floating around and still not sold on what fixture to buy. The 24" bulbs won't cover the entire tank and leave dead spots. I need some more help here. Read on another thread about the Coralife 30" fixture, concern there is Coralife and their ballasts and as the poster noted their is just one reflector. I own probably 8-9 CP Coralife and a box of ballasts LOL.
T-5HO is the direction that were headed and would really like to go in that direction with this tank. I read nothing but good reviews about Catalinalights and they build a solid product, just wish they could do a 30" bulb fixture. Theirs are all 24" in 30" fixtures.

This is a pic that was taken during construction, their is now a door to the left of the tank and far right opening is enclosed. That top plane of 50" lifts off. We have a concealed cut out on the top of the plane for feeding. So 2 sides behind are open to the mechanical area. We have ventilation!

This tank is not finished by any means we had the party here this weekend and wanted it to look good.

If I sound fussy I'm just very tired. Was at the hospital till late last night with my Mother-in-law very ill.

I really appreciate any and all comments, the 65w that is above it now just is not cutting it.
Thank You Karen

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well i was actually gonna go with t5 for a customized diy light for a 29 gallon.
Here are my options.
1) go with 5 bulbs to get a sunburst period.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...amp__30?&query=30"&queryType=0&hits=12&offset

i would move these all around to get complete coverage. all you need is 5 of these and some endcaps and ballast and some reflectors.
2) cheaper option in my opion.
http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
2x 55 w. Btw ur tank is a 37 gallon if its 30x12x22.
the kit cost 70 plus shipping and two bulbs equals like 120 i think. not sure. Well thats my opion.
i have a 65w current fixture over my 29 and im getting plants that are leaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts