The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 30 gal tank that has been settin idle for several years. It is 36" X 12" X 17" and has 2 36" strip lights with single flourescent tubes that are 30W each. Is this enough light or should I us a AH 96W kit in one of them and leave the other as is? Substrate will be small gravel mixed with Laterite.
Thanks Gene
I am new here and just noticed I may not post attachments. What do I need to do to be able to do this?

·
Registered
467 Posts
you could duplicate that system by adding a powerhead to a juice bottle. it's just water, sugar and yeast. it's not bad option, only a couple of dollars more than buying a powerhead and a bottle to use.

some triphosphor bulbs would give you a nice low tech setup that could grow plants well, albeit slow.

personally, i'd go with the new retro kit and one or two bottles producing co2 :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I get 30W 36" triphosphor bulbs? The LFS doesn't have them I think. There is a PetSmart about 10 miles away but I don't like the store much. Think I will try 2 new bulbs if I can get them and see what happens. I use Excell in my 29gal with 75W and it is doing well. The retro fit from AH is 103$ with shipping and I have to get a filter. Going with a Rena FilStar which I read good things about. That's about all I can afford for now.
Gene
Went and took a look a t your tanks and boy they are nice. I just want to have something grow.

·
Registered
711 Posts
t2,

i also have a 30gal tank. i have 72watts (2x36) with a decent parabolic reflector. i have the hardy anubias, java ferns, rotala rotundifolia, val nana, giant hygro, crypt wendtii red and more demanding plants (ludwigia inclinata, limnophila aromatica, nesaea sp); all do well, with pressurized co2 and ei. 96watts is too much, especially if you go diy co2; i had chronic algae problems (bba, staghorn, gsa) with 72watts and diy co2.

if you go for 2x30, that would be on the border of low/mod light. in this case, diy co2 may be adequate.

not sure if they are still available, but interpet triplus (used to be tritons) are very good. spectrum and output are constant pretty much throughout the life of the bulb, so you wouldn't have to replace them every year or less as you would with cheaper bulbs.

need to ask yourself what you want to get out of your planted tank, and how much are you willing to spend--in time and money--to get you there. it's a very difficult thing to balance, but fun trying. :D

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Where can I get 30W 36" triphosphor bulbs? The LFS doesn't have them I think...
Zoo Med's Ultra Sun is a 6500K high intensity trichromatic full spectrum daylight lamp and their Flora Sun is a pink looking lamp that High intensity with peak emissions in the blue and red regions to maximize the photobiological processes in plants. These are 36" T8 25w bulbs. Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc. - Aquatic Products

Coralife has a Trichromatic 6500K 94 CRI full spectrum lamp. It's 36" T12 30w: Energy Savers Unlimited | Coralife | ESU Reptile | Birdlife | Pondlife | Deep Ocean | A Worldwide Manufacturer of quality pet products
Coralife also has a Nutrigrow Plant bulb in two styles. They have it in a 36" T8 30w lamp: Energy Savers Unlimited | Coralife | ESU Reptile | Birdlife | Pondlife | Deep Ocean | A Worldwide Manufacturer of quality pet products
And a 36" T12 30w lamp: Energy Savers Unlimited | Coralife | ESU Reptile | Birdlife | Pondlife | Deep Ocean | A Worldwide Manufacturer of quality pet products

If I wanted the Zoo Med lamps, I'd get an Ultra Sun and a Flora Sun. For the Coralife lamps, I'd get a Trichromatic and a Nutrigrow lamp.

These lamps are a little cheaper at TFP than Dr.'s Foster Smith. I didn't check Big Al's.

Ultra Sun: Aquarium | Fluorescent | Ultra-Sun Trichromatic Fluorescent Lamp - 6,500k - 30W - 36 in. - ZM0216 - ThatPetPlace.com
Flora Sun: Aquarium | Fluorescent | Flora Sun Max Plant Growth Fluorescent T-8 Lamp - 5,000k - 36 in. - ZM0208 - ThatPetPlace.com

Trichromatic: Aquarium | Fluorescent | Trichromatic Day Fluorescent Lamp without Reflector - 36 in. - ES0113 - ThatPetPlace.com
T8 Nutrugrow: Aquarium | Fluorescent | Nutri Grow Fluorescent T-8 Lamp - 30W - 36 in. - ES0720 - ThatPetPlace.com
T12 Nutrigrow: Aquarium | Fluorescent | Nutri Grow Plant Fluorescent Lamp - 30W - 36 in. - ES0183 - ThatPetPlace.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts