The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to be setting up my 30 gallon rimless tank soon. hopefully... (i am still looking for something to use to make a lid for it)

anyway, i just got 3 emperor tetras and 2 albino cories yesterday. i would have preferred to get a bigger group of one type of fish but that is all they had of each of those yesterday so i will be adding to the numbers later on.

the fish are in my established 20 gallon at the moment. i plan to move everything over to my 30 gallon when i get a top for it. when they get moved over how many of each type of fish should i have in there?

i am also thinking about getting a pair of "show" fish for the tank. although, i really like the look of the emperor tetras. do they school well? if they do i may just stick with a bigger group of them.

i am thinking 5 albino cories should be good. what do you think?

if i am sticking with just the tetras how many do you think i should get?

i will be waiting at least a month after the move to the new tank (with the same filter being used on the new tank) before adding more fish.

thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the cories five total would be fine. It's always the more is merrier with them. Just make sure they are all the same species.

For the tetras a minimum of 6-10 would be good for them, so they feel safe and less stressed. From there it depends on if you want to make them the centerpiece by adding more or if you want to reserve the space for anything else.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys :)

so, if i had 5 albino cories and 6 emperor tetras i could get a pair of bigger fish in a 30 gallon?

i don't know anything at all about cichlids so i am worried i would do something wrong. i think i would stick with gouramis, like dwarf gouramis. are they really hard to care for? i am pretty sure i had some about 9-10 years ago when i had a tank before.

i just don't know what to do! i don't know if i would like all emperor tetras or if i want to put a pair of gouramis in there too... darn! this is hard. haha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts