The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is 30 gallons (36x18x12) just a really uncommon size in this hobby or something?? I have been trying to find a stand for my 30 gallon tank and feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall. :crying:

I've been to 4 locally owned aquarium supply stores, all the dreaded petsmart type stores, almost every aquarium supply website, and even ebay and craigslist and have come up with virtually nothing. The store I bought my tank from tried to sell me the display stand it came with (the only 30 gal stand they stocked) for $200 but it literally fell apart when they tried to move it to the register as it was made of cheap particle board and was light as a feather. Needless to say I passed on that one...

I have only found 2 stands online that are made for 30 gallon tanks (not including nano cubes, which is not the kind of tank I am working with.) One is a very minimal metal frame and the general consensus from people who have purchased it say that it is NOT sturdy or even level and probably isn't actually durable enough to support anything more than 20 gallons The second stand I found is made of cheap particle board with this awful powder coat that is said to be impossible to clean and NOT waterproof despite the manufacturer's claims and again the general consensus among buyers is that it is also a flimsy piece of garbage.

I've considered looking for someone to build me a custom stand, but I really don't make that kind of money, and I'd be worried that a general carpenter wouldn't know how to construct a piece of furniture specifically designed to support 400 lbs of glass and water in all the right places. I myself am certainly no woodworker. There are custom aquarium design places in my area, but again I do not have hundreds or thousands of dollars to drop on those kinds of overpriced places...

Do yall have any ideas??? I'm desperate! I want this tank off my floor :frown2:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
It's not a very common tank size but there are stands out there. A LFS that is near me actually stocks them regularly as well as 40 high tanks which are the same footprint as your tank but 20 inches tall.

Is this the one your referring to? Because it got pretty good reviews online if it is. That's gotta say something. It might be worth trying out.

Aquatic Fundamentals 30/38/45 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand | Petco Store

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah! that's the second one i mentioned. i was looking at it on a diff website and the reviews there were terrible. of course when it comes to product reviews on websites it can be hard to know who to trust and who is just spouting nonsense like "i ordered this pair of underwear and don't understand why i can't wear them as a shirt 1 star out of 5" lol. the reviews from ppl on petco are a LOT better and the main complaint seems to be "there's no shelf inside" which, whatever. no biggie.

i guess i'll just go with that one and cross my fingers!! thanks for convincing me.

do you think cinder block legs and pressure treated wood as a support on top is out of the question?

just purchased that stand. stress levels...decreasing.... 8)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Sorry the bottom dimensions, is it 36x18 or 36x12?
I would guess the prior, as the latter is a common footprint for a few tanks here, all around the 100L mark (25gal)

I would use that stand though. through a plastic drop sheet and a vinyl tablecloth over that to hide it all.
I've use particle board around small tanks before, but only ever if it can be wrapped in plastic first.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
yeah! that's the second one i mentioned. i was looking at it on a diff website and the reviews there were terrible. of course when it comes to product reviews on websites it can be hard to know who to trust and who is just spouting nonsense like "i ordered this pair of underwear and don't understand why i can't wear them as a shirt 1 star out of 5" lol. the reviews from ppl on petco are a LOT better and the main complaint seems to be "there's no shelf inside" which, whatever. no biggie.

i guess i'll just go with that one and cross my fingers!! thanks for convincing me.

do you think cinder block legs and pressure treated wood as a support on top is out of the question?

just purchased that stand. stress levels...decreasing.... 8)

There is never a reason to use PT for a stand. Ever!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.