The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a 30 gallon tank to go in my living room on a built in bookshelf. Obviously I wil be reinforcing the shelf ( plan to build a sort of hidden stand under the shelf concieled with cabinet doors to hide the canister filter and power strip. )

The space I have to work with isnt very much bigger than the tank. The lights cant be spaced above the tank--they have to be in a conventional style hood configuration or laying flat on some glass on top of the tank.

I will be using a canister filter to make maintenance easier since I wont be able to get to the back of the tank--it will help me fit it in better as well with the lower rear profile of the canister filter tubes vs. HOB filter.

Plans for this 30 gallon include lots of low light plants, gravel substrate with root tabs and water column ferts. NO CO2. Some Otos and Corys ( not sure how many is too many ) and as many Rummynose Tetras or Black Neon Tetras as I can safely fit in the tank.

At what point light wattage level would I have to consider CO2? I dont want CO2 because of two reasons--added expense--and mainly because of lack of knowledge on my part. If someone can convince me that it would be a good idea--I may add it to all 3 of my tanks--maybe.

What light level would be too intense to be right at water level? A raised light canopy is out of the question.

This is the light I am considering--with different bulbs---is Actinic needed in a planted tank?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Coralife_p/res58022.htm

This canister filter

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Fluval_305_Canister_Filter_p/rcg10211.htm

The 30 gallon tank fits my shelf opening perfectly with a standard tank hood profile and minimal equipment on the rear of the tank.

OK--pros and cons of my proposed setup?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops--didnt even pay attention there. Im certain the one at my LFS is the one you listed--they dont have a large selection of reef equipment but they do have a lot of freshwater fish and equip.

Any other suggestions--stocking ideas--is a 30 gallon an OK size for growing plants and fish in?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a 30 gallon tank once... it's a great tank, but just let me say this: it's 36 inches wide, so that means your lighting will be more expensive to buy then say for a 29 gallon tank (30"). Don't forget to take in consideration the size of your heater and canister filter. Also, you're going to need more substrate to adequately cover the bottom. And you'll also have to buy more plants to fill it in. And, because it's wider you might need a powerhead to move water throughout the dead spots that the canister filter might not be able to get to. What I'm getting at is that it's more expensive to set up and fill a 30 gallon tank over other close cousin choices (28g bow, 29g, etc.). I wouldn't worry about about trying to "stuff" an aquarium into a spot you'd think is cool. Buy/build a separate stand so that you don't have to make compromises on the equipment you need to successfully maintain, light, and clean your nice investment. But if you're determined to put it in the shelf, have you considered a 20 gallon long? It's not as tall, and only 30" long. As for Co2, I've been using a DIY yeast system that has given me pleasing results. It's cheap, easy, and seems to help out the plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.