The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first venture into planted tanks and it was set up only yesterday. I will post some system specs now and some pictures later. It is a low tech tank which may only end up housing anubias.

Tank: 30 gallon
Filtration: Fluval U3 (set to spray bar)
Lighting: 2x24w T5 with individual reflectors
Ferts: only Excel now (subject to change on suggestion)
Substrate: Fine sand

I plan to stock the tank with a Pelvicachromis Pulcher pair (maybe 2?) in the hopes that they will breed. As I said I will post pictures later but any comments are welcome :icon_smil

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Definitely no more than a pair of Kribs in a tank that size! lol

You've got too much lighting for only Anubias in the tank. It'll end up with algae-covered leaves in no time under 2x24 watts of T5HO. If you want to stay with just Anubias I recommend dropping down to a T8 fixture. Or significantly increase your plant load (add lots of fast-growing stems) and also add CO2 to the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I thought as much about the Kribs. I already had this fixture and would like to keep the tank relatively low cost. The tank is 18" tall. I though that on a tank this size I could get away with dosing excel and not need a pressurized co2 system?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You may be able to make do with DIY CO2, but I doubt that just Excel will do it unless you incorporate a heavy cover with floating plants and/or lift the fixture well off the tank.

The issue is that your T5HO lighting- individually reflected- puts this tank well into the high light category.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Detaching them would definitely reduce the light somewhat. No way to know if it would be enough or not without trying it, though. You sure the fixture would be safe to run w/out reflectors, and not overheat the ballast or anything?

Root tabs will mostly benefit heavily rooted plants... so crypts, swords, etc- none of which are especially fast-growing. The fastest-growing plants are generally stem plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.