The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my shrimp to a larger tank (again).
I want to cater to the Singapore shrimp (Atyopsis moluccenis) that I have--I think I have 14 of them, I lost count. I also have some RCS that I want to add to the tank.
I want/need this tank to have enough current so that so many large filter shrimp will be able to feed without crowding each other so much.
I also need poop producers, which would be other fish.
I have a few ideas on substrate, but need some help.
I need plenty of hitching posts for the filter-feeding shrimp, and moss for the RCS to pick around in. I have PLENTY of moss onhand.
I only want to add a few plants like crypts and Anubias.

What I have thus far is a 30 gallon long tank that needs some TLC before I'll be able to start setting it up, about 12 pounds of black gravel, and a few plants.

I'm undecided on a filter. I was thinking about another canister filter so I can make the tank as closed and shut as possible.
I am thinking about NO lighting for the tank.

I was thinking about getting some "flake" gray slate to cover the top of the gravel, and some kind of rocks of scaping. In the nooks and crannies, I wanted to plant Anubias with crypts planted some way in the substrate. Moss would be tied to the rocks.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. Oh, and I am painting the back black.

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO lighting = Normal Output (flourescent) lighting. It's a newer abbreviation, to my understanding.

The tank is also across the room from the sliding glass door in the living room, but it has a dark curtain drawn closed most of the time, especially in the winter.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My bamboo shrimp loved sitting on the moss arches draped over a bubble wand. That was the only source of filter I had in a 30g with guppies and shrimp and a medium amount of plants.

They would sit on the moss and catch bubbles and squish them with their little filter fans.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hope the moss likes the new tank!

Some suggestions that came to mind for me that might help you is to look into a "river tank" there are many over at planetcatfish.com I believe DC has had some nice ones as well over the years... Basically you have something (usually a power head or a pump) sucking in water from one side and shooting it to the other and having a pretty decent flow of water in the tank. I'm no expert on this and haven't actually made one yet (too many ideas, too little time/space) but I think this would work well. And people keep cherries in Pleco tanks all the time.

-Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.