The Planted Tank Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Like about a couple of days or so within me posting about dethrone, not fearing the melt and being not passionate, unmotivated, I started to see leaves melt. I was not worried at all. I should've been (if i could predict the future), but I figured with the low par, i wouldn't have any issue. Well my system f**king imploded. Slowly but steadily. So from the kush shots you saw(keep in mind i had reached my goal of filling the whole tank with the foreground syn but didn't really care), overgrowth came, the plants were drowning each other, I did nothing about this, algae started forming on old leaves. This whole time I was over back and forth debating how to sell what or clear space or propagate and what ID, but I never did anything, nothing, at this time no motivation and things were going fairly well to great. My substrate is powder by now which I think was the issue. So sometimes I get over zealous on eradicating algae and overdosed algae fix, the stuff is fast acting, so this was not wise, I did anyways. I truly am I hope this is the turning point from completely never using chemicals(excel, hydroperox, algaefix, metricide, antibiotics, chemiclean) that are meant to kill algae again. It was fast acting and the algae went away. This is about same point as the very little amount of leaves melting. I'm still not afraid of the melt, but also I can't figure it out. I think it was the powder or old age, lack of trimming, maybe I should've increased light. So the melt started spreading and within a week or so everything was *hit. I did not remove or do anything. The melting became dominant and spreading. Algae developed rapidly. Right now, I think I have all the experience/wisdom I need and have to tackle any algae problem I may have, EXCEPT THE MELTING. With algae it seems to be what stage you are at in your plants/soil or what you have in the water if given you got light, o2, co2, ferts correct. The healthier the algae, the thicker and more stuck on it'll be. This must mean the algae is being well fed, whether it be through nutrients, bio, or feeding off the plant itself. Lucky for me, I've mainly had to deal with soft type algaes. Stuff you can just wipe off with your fingers or just siphon up easily example bga. BBA can be very tough, or easy, I had free floating stuff growing underneath plants, but when it sticks best way is to trim the entire leaf off. Turn off the filter and trim away, then you can net all the leaves away. Gotta put in the work, if you tackle an algae, the next day you'll either see a rebound and spread, or things look on the brighter side and you have less algae. If you have less algae, and it did not grow you can conclude that your conditions are decent. I have no idea with hair algaes and spirog to get rid of only by algae fix, but I haven't gotten it enough to try manual removal, or have i really tried manual removal. GDA just wipe. Scrape the leaves with your fingers. I rarely use scissors when maintaining, fingers are more precise. Sometimes you need nails. GSA, iono? Not gotten it much. For you sumpers, a great maintenance technique you can do, is siphon all your pollution straight into the sump, leave the pump on, so it keeps flowing, the dirt goes into the filter and doesn't affect the tank. So your cycling your tank without removing water, i like to clean, siphon into the sump first, then do a water change. I've gotten good at tear downs/redos. Can do them in a proper timeframe. I once did a redo and kept plants out too long which died, that impact is what made me get things together in redos. A lot of planning in my head goes on and a lot of analyzing, I can't just go right into it.

Going back to the main tank, the soil is wasted. I am going to get some amazonia, but not looking forward to it. It takes time and progression and work to get it to where i want it to be with the new soil. It melts easier than the malaya I have now. Its tough, not for the feeble, that new soil. But it breaks down slower than malaya, africana, light. It can also show the glory of the plant. Full robustness and splits of crazieness. One of my favorite things about syngonanthus is the splitting. The implosion I really did not get at all. I can only think the soil/old age plants. Low par, high co2, high macros. I wasn't doing the gh, but I'm sure there was plenty of ca/mg from past doses. I wasn't dosing traces or iron. I don't think that was the issue, trace toxicity to non existent traces, I'm sure there was enough from past doses, that I do not know though. I put a lot of humic acid granules in the sump. Kind've overdid it, but the additions of the granules did not make the tank look good or add anything of difference. I don't think it did anything but hurt the system. Pure ro like always. Actually rodi. Tds is 20-30. ph 4-5s. kh 0. Maybe this particular plant is just prone to melt, stages of melt, I'm sure if I did all belem no melt guarenteed as the others, just not this uaupes. I did not mention, all the bugs are gone now. Maybe the micro critters faced an apocalypse.

Pics to come next post. bit tired...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I haven't really been successful lately with my moss walls. I plan to do moss walls on this tank or moss segments walls. I figure the more plants I can pack into the box the more filtering and depolluting and cleaning the water, and it keeps going in full circle. More plants can only benefit, plus always the algae on the wall looks bad. So I got grid but need to order suction cups. Eager to start as they always take a little while to adjust then bloom and fill in.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Like about a couple of days or so within me posting about dethrone, not fearing the melt and being not passionate, unmotivated, I started to see leaves melt. I was not worried at all. I should've been (if i could predict the future), but I figured with.........
................ others, just not this uaupes. I did not mention, all the bugs are gone now. Maybe the micro critters faced an apocalypse.

Pics to come next post. bit tired...
10/23/2020

10/25/2020

10/28/2020

10/29/2020

10/30.2020
spiro forming

10/31/2020

11/1/2020

11/02/2020
algae fix rapidly work

Notice the coloration of the green leaves turning more yellowish
11/4/2020

11/5/2020

11/11/2020 melting starting stages

11/16/2020 just horrible

11/19/2020

ok, time...delay...procrastinate...need to do something

Its amazing because the (CURRENTLY) the bugs that went away now the population is back with plenty of algae to feed off

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
So another tear down, redo, 11/22/2020, seems like an occuring thing. Still learning though still acquiring new skills. I've got my passion back big time. With 3 tanks, gotta do something.
These are just progression pictures to catch up.

11/20/2020
extract all plants, clean them, trim them, toss them, store them until the redo (not too long, big mistake if too long)

Added buces only to remove them weeks later, weren't giving the colors i wanted
11/21/2020

11/22/2020 redone

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Left off on 12/1/2020, just going to skim through and fast forward the rest of the month. Here are pictures.. Pretty much in and out of algae. But stable growth. I'm trying to do at least one thing a day on tank or tanks. If I do not, its a day lost. Whether its removing algae, waiving detritus, siphoning, water changing, propagating, at least something. I added a vietnam moss wall, spiky moss wall, and prabktiana wall.

jump: 12/19/2020

Bump: 12/20/2020
water change random shots
after the redo back up there no melting

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So getting tired of the same ol same old uaupes everywhere, I'm in propagation mode of the other syngonanthus, but besides that it seems always the same so I began a manzanita wood build. The build took me about 4 hrs with breaks, spaced out different days. I did not realize the cigarette filter and super glue was so darned effective. A solid bond it creates. Add saw dust and its natural looking. I wanted the build to be small so I can still have all my syngonanthus in somewhat a abundance. I got a little too carried away.
This is already 3 pieces together, total pieces together is about 25 to 30 manzanita woods. This is awesome, spreads my horizon in a wide range of what can be done. Prior using the cig filter I gave up too fast, now getting really better.

FINAL build

I'm sure this will look awesome in water.

Bump: Guys, anybody, need your help, without use algaefix, hydroperoxide, e

Bump: Guys, anybody, need your help, without use algaefix, hydroperoxide, excel or any other chemicals how would one get rid of this algae? Its hair or spirogya...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My tank has always had that thread like algae in it. Manual removal along with increased flow in the problem area seems to keep it at bay. I have one bad dead spot in flow due to my hardscape and I have a big clump of it, it doesn't bother me all that much anymore there though because my shrimp love it. Hitting it with peroxide in trouble areas makes quick work of it though, but you'll definitely need to increase flow to these areas or it will come back.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks @Scully. Plants are low in height, way near the substrate. I manually removed it or most of it on the redo. Its coming back though with new amazonia, but I change 80% water daily, I may just end up using algae fix on it if it becomes too much. I'd say its safer than the peroxide on these plants.

Will be last update for now until the tank grows in more. I made the mistake of planting the uaupes' too close together, they'll need maintenance when they grow out. Got blyxa alternifolia on the left side. I've got ludwigia white coming in the mail I'm going to try out. Fissidens splachynoides and vietnam moss on the wood. Random buces, hopefully brownies. Syn uaupes, manaus, meta, lago grande, variegated, belem, giants.

Brand new tank, but tank rapidly gets algae on the glass is easy fix.
1/10/2021 caught up.

1/11/2021 caught up.

closer

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
syngonanthus la lindosa
This is my biggest challenge syn so far. This tank is the same as my main tank except it doesn't get water changed as much.
So here are progressions
the lindosa totally stunted, threw out flower stalks, i eventually pulled the stalks and then eventually split, i pulled 2 tiny heads and put those into the main tank. Now one tiny main stalk remains. I had also purchased a new la lindosa with sideshoots, that stem is not prime but i received it prime.
Left is caulescens, right is la lindosa

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
3 species I got in in january
la lindosa (had one, bought another for main tank)
white stripe (discounted as a lot of green), has thrown a green sideshoot since, slowest grower i've seen so far
is it vichada or vinchada? got one with plenty of sideshoots
credit goes to seller, just planted picture

white stripe

same, growth from seller, vichada

my caulescens threw a lot of stalks, and is sideshooting a bunch

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
So its been almost a month since i've updated
I'm really liking amazonia and can't believe over the years I've wasted on my stables africana and malaya, both which contain way less nutrients, deplete faster, and crumble down faster. Those soils give about a good month of good plant burst, after ud need to supply more nutrients. Amazonia would've saved me good amount of $ more long term. Now theres a bunch of soils out now really good but i stuck to ada for the sure thing. My other tank got fresh amazonia, so i already trialed the syns i have in there. So I knew they would grow. Pretty much in this month I added syn caulescens, la lindosa, vichada, white stripe. I took out the wood. I dosed algae fix x3 doses. Water changed a whole lot. Put ada bottom plus under certain species, not stem species, you can probably guess which ones. Dosed ei, or target range dose, switch from dry to liquid. Turned my pump flow all the way down, now gentle flow. Raised my lights, turned my lights all the way up. Photoperiod is 5 and half hours. Blasted 5 hrs, but at a height.
So here are current pics
2/9/2021
thats dead algae on the moss wall, the grey, killed from algae fix
I see only benefits from more and more water changing

81 - 98 of 98 Posts