The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be stocking 90 low tech planted tank soon and was wondering if 3 schools of fish will be "too much".

I wanted originaly to have two large schools of Harlequin Rasboras and Rummy nose tetras. Would adding a third school of Dwarf Neon Rainbows be ok or better keep only two large schools?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I tried this, in a 60, and the schools got all mixed up when crossing through each other, and then they stopped schooling. I removed some fish, and they school again together.

it is also very messy, if I were to do it again, it is more pleasing to the eye to see ONE huge school of fishes of the same species.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried this, in a 60, and the schools got all mixed up when crossing through each other, and then they stopped schooling. I removed some fish, and they school again together.

it is also very messy, if I were to do it again, it is more pleasing to the eye to see ONE huge school of fishes of the same species.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I personally think 1 large school looks the best but anything over 2 is very... Busy for lack of a better word... And unless you want your tank to purpously look Busy, you should stick with just the 2 or even 1 and make it a larger school. I find one to yield the most schooling as well.

Also i think youd get more opinions in the Fish section of the forums, maybey ask there as well to see if you cant get more opinions

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my! I do not want it to look busy... I like H.rasboras but also rummy noses. Rummies tend to stay towards the bottom I believe. I also just imagened 50x H. Rasboars :icon_eek: Or 30+ dwarf neon rainbows (not sure if they scholl well).

I guess I need to sleep on it...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention that there will be 12+ dwarf corydoras and a few otos, so you suggest to have only one big school of ther fish, say 50+ H. Rasboras

Go with a big school of bottom dwellers like cories or oto cats, I mean like 10+ fish, then you get two schools but don't have to really worry about them mixing. Plus big schools of otos are awesome!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would think a school of harlequins and a school of pygmy or hastatus cory's for the bottom would look nice and would be separated for the most part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts