The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I am clueless with all aspects of LED with regard to planted Tankdom. I currently have just standard old hooded 1 fluorescent tube old aqueon style lights not intended for plant growth.
I do have so called plant bulbs in them but I am certain that effect is limited.
I DO have a decent dual t5 I think slimline freshwater coralife fixture with 2 bulbs in it on a small "plant growth" nursery as it were.
So. Main question. Will THIS:
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W

Be sufficient for a LIGHTLY planted low tech 55g? I am not looking to go high tech or drop a lot of coin.
I am not doing dosing or using ferts as I have shrimp in this community tank.
I am just hoping this would be superior to that ancient one fluorescent tube lights from the 80s.

I also saw these:

But surely these are too underpowered to do any good?
Again I am but a confused old man with this LED stuff and you all are the oracles of wisdom with Planted Tanks.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Guys,

I am clueless with all aspects of LED with regard to planted Tankdom. I currently have just standard old hooded 1 fluorescent tube old aqueon style lights not intended for plant growth.
I do have so called plant bulbs in them but I am certain that effect is limited.
I DO have a decent dual t5 I think slimline freshwater coralife fixture with 2 bulbs in it on a small "plant growth" nursery as it were.
So. Main question. Will THIS:
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W
Amazon.com : Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W : Pet Supplies

Be sufficient for a LIGHTLY planted low tech 55g? I am not looking to go high tech or drop a lot of coin.
I am not doing dosing or using ferts as I have shrimp in this community tank.
I am just hoping this would be superior to that ancient one fluorescent tube lights from the 80s.

I also saw these: Amazon.com : Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable (120cm - 48") : Pet Supplies

But surely these are too underpowered to do any good?
Again I am but a confused old man with this LED stuff and you all are the oracles of wisdom with Planted Tanks.
So I take it your not up to "wizz bang" full bells and whistles LED like the Current plus pro?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I take it your not up to "wizz bang" full bells and whistles LED like the Current plus pro?
Would it help if I said I have no idea what that even was and it sounded like a battery charger?
Looked that up and found they want 240 or so for it.
Yes that looks very nice but again lightly planted tank and that's way out of my survivability factor.
That is to say the odds that my wife won't kill me for spending more money on my tanks.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Would it help if I said I have no idea what that even was and it sounded like a battery charger?
Looked that up and found they want 240 or so for it.
Yes that looks very nice but again lightly planted tank and that's way out of my survivability factor.
That is to say the odds that my wife won't kill me for spending more money on my tanks.
Ok so lets go "old school" a bit.. The 2 beamsworks you posted have a lumen output of 5200
The "colorful" one is 2500 lumens..
a t5 can be 2700 to up to 5700 lumens but not quite equivalent due to a few factors such as geometry, spectrum and reflectors..

Soo the 5700 lumen led is close to a 2 tube t5 in effective delivery..

The colored one.. not even close...

Consider 1/2 to 1W/gallon for leds for moderately good light.. but don't really abide by it.. It is a really crude ballpark figure..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so lets go "old school" a bit.. The 2 beamsworks you posted have a lumen output of 5200
The "colorful" one is 2500 lumens..
a t5 can be 2700 to up to 5700 lumens but not quite equivalent due to a few factors such as geometry, spectrum and reflectors..

Soo the 5700 lumen led is close to a 2 tube t5 in effective delivery..

The colored one.. not even close...

Consider 1/2 to 1W/gallon for leds for moderately good light.. but don't really abide by it.. It is a really crude ballpark figure..
I figured that weak colored one was pointless.
And at least I have a idea now to compare it to thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the one you listed first. My tank is tall, 22" which makes it harder to get light to the bottom. The light is doing a great job. No CO2, no pro fert regimen. I use root tabs and Flourish. Here's a pic. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the color. It just drowns everything in whitish/yellow light. The plants love it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
True but with the hoods I have there is no room for 2 deep.

If you use a glass top you could drop down to the 36" to save some money.

But buying the glass top and the light wouldn't save me any money ;)

Bump:
I have the one you listed first. My tank is tall, 22" which makes it harder to get light to the bottom. The light is doing a great job. No CO2, no pro fert regimen. I use root tabs and Flourish. Here's a pic. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the color. It just drowns everything in whitish/yellow light. The plants love it though.
Very nice. I see the tint you are talking about but my ancient florescent are just as bad. If the plants like it that is the main thing.
And surely as a side effect it uses less juice?

·
Registered
167 Posts
That plan required you to have the glass tops already in use. No savings for you!

120 x .5 w ...... 60 w. It's going to be very hard to find an effective light that uses less juice than your Coralife light. The Beamswork does a good job at a few more watts.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That plan required you to have the glass tops already in use. No savings for you!

120 x .5 w ...... 60 w. It's going to be very hard to find an effective light that uses less juice than your Coralife light. The Beamswork does a good job at a few more watts.
No no the coralife is on a small 25 tall? (think that's the size) all 3 55g have those ancient 80s hoods 1 bulb each side t5 I think it is.
So compared to those old school ancient lights that Beamworks should be quite an upgrade for the plants.
And isn't that always the case, no savings for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My 6500K Beamswork 72" 13100 lumen has been timed to turn on for 10 hours a day every day. Been growing dwarf hair grass and it is bright. I've had it for 2 years now. Great bang for the buck. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That DA 120 has 104 x 6500k (daylight) LEDs and 16 x actinic (very blue) 16000k? LEDs. The pictures aren't accurate. I looked at buying the same light from that seller and didn't because of the blue lighting tint it would have overall.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
No no the coralife is on a small 25 tall? (think that's the size) all 3 55g have those ancient 80s hoods 1 bulb each side t5 I think it is.
So compared to those old school ancient lights that Beamworks should be quite an upgrade for the plants.
And isn't that always the case, no savings for me.

I'm in the process of setting up a 55gal and needed an interim light.
Cheap-ish LED shop light.3300 lumens and 4200k.
Quite neutral overall.
Should be around 30-40
PAR at the substrate..just
resting on top of the tank. Doesn't get hotter than about 110F at the ps end..
$35
http://www.menards.com/main/mainten...4423574927-c-7495.htm?tid=1821631025078522679

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not bad except all my tanks are in the living room and aesthetically well...... the wife would have a fit with the shop light. Functionally and value for dollar that would be a treat!

Bump:
That DA 120 has 104 x 6500k (daylight) LEDs and 16 x actinic (very blue) 16000k? LEDs. The pictures aren't accurate. I looked at buying the same light from that seller and didn't because of the blue lighting tint it would have overall.

Are there two models now? I seem to see one version for freshwater uses all white LED?

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Not bad except all my tanks are in the living room and aesthetically well...... the wife would have a fit with the shop light. Functionally and value for dollar that would be a treat!

Bump:

Are there two models now? I seem to see one version for freshwater uses all white LED?
all those kind of really narrow down your choices.. ;)
Amazon.com : Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W : Pet Supplies

There is one cheap light built on the old beamswork chassis that is 1)really low priced and 2)has enough "alternate" diodes to add a lot of pop to colors in the aquarium.
48" is $32.90
States 1/2W diodes but nothing to prove it/ Old style were .1W making it a bit under whelming..

0.5W 24"/36"/48" Multi-Color LED Aquarium Light Full Spec Plant Fish Tank Lamp
156 total diodes :
132pcs (8000K,0.5w)
12pcs blue (460nm, 0.5W)
4pcs green (500nm)
4pcs (465nm)??? "pink"
4pcs (625nm) red
Power supply listed doesn't give me any confidence in the .5w "rating"..
Could output from under 30w to 70-ish watts..
If it wasn't for the fact that I will re-purpose the shop light in the future I would have tok the chance on this unit. Looked like fun..
Tried to verify ANY specs but seller is just really a pass through goods company

Check the worlds marketplace.. ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all those kind of really narrow down your choices.. ;)

There is one cheap light built on the old beamswork chassis that is 1)really low priced and 2)has enough "alternate" diodes to add a lot of pop to colors in the aquarium.
48" is $32.90
States 1/2W diodes but nothing to prove it/ Old style were .1W making it a bit under whelming..

156 total diodes :

Power supply listed doesn't give me any confidence in the .5w "rating"..
Could output from under 30w to 70-ish watts..
If it wasn't for the fact that I will re-purpose the shop light in the future I would have tok the chance on this unit. Looked like fun..
Tried to verify ANY specs but seller is just really a pass through goods company

Check the worlds marketplace.. ;)
I saw those. Do you think that's enough light for a sparsely planted tank??

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
I saw those. Do you think that's enough light for a sparsely planted tank??
At worst it appears to be either 1/2 the power of the Beamswork.. or equal..

Let put it this way, it was on my short list of "temporary" lights, preferring more high tech multi-channel controllable lighting.. but would have considered a second if needed..
I've never considered 6500k to be my "go to" color choice in LED's for both looks and plant growth.. The 8000k are slightly richer in blue so you don't get the "yellow" as much (though to be honest this is not my main point against them)but you have the asst. colors...
I was also tempted to buy it just to see "exactly" what they were selling..and possibly upgrading the ps to "push" .5W out of the diodes.. ;)
My though was they were putting .5W diodes in but not pushing the current necesary to drive them to .5w.

bottom line is it should grow some plants just fine, just don't expect miracles..

Reactions: RxFisher

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At worst it appears to be either 1/2 the power of the Beamswork.. or equal..

Let put it this way, it was on my short list of "temporary" lights, preferring more high tech multi-channel controllable lighting.. but would have considered a second if needed..
I've never considered 6500k to be my "go to" color choice in LED's for both looks and plant growth.. The 8000k are slightly richer in blue so you don't get the "yellow" as much (though to be honest this is not my main point against them)but you have the asst. colors...
I was also tempted to buy it just to see "exactly" what they were selling..and possibly upgrading the ps to "push" .5W out of the diodes.. ;)
My though was they were putting .5W diodes in but not pushing the current necesary to drive them to .5w.

bottom line is it should grow some plants just fine, just don't expect miracles..

Well then, since the price is more than right though I would like the brighter beamworks it would seem a test would be in order for the benefit of the Planted Tank community.
I think I will pick up one of those low cost cheapies since you figure its enough for low amount of plant growth and see what we can see. Looks a bit sketchy to me but lets see what happens.
As I have 3 55s as plants propagate and I have more to spread to other 55s I will get the bigger beamworks and maybe the last 55 I will get that 24 hour satellite one.
In the end all my ancient lights will be in storage and we can find out how good or bad as the case may be the cheap options are!

Bump: Order placed. Cant be worse than my ancient fixtures. Though I could be wrong lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you look at the link to amazon, the DA 120 that specific seller is selling has 16x Actinic LEDs. I emailed him asking for clarification because the pictures show all daylight 6500k. He hasn't bothered to fix the pictures.

There are quite a few different generations of Beamswork lights, with no real order or sense to it all. I'm picking up this light locally on Monday.

LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.