The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my nano. Looking for some feedback and opinions. Everyone around here says it looks nice no matter what I do, but they dont see near as many aquariums as all yall do. So any comments/criticisms/input would be great. Really trying to make this a decent nano (I seem to do much better with the larger tanks).

Specs:

3 Gallon Picotope
Ecocomplete Substrate
Java Moss
Various Crypts
Alot of Cherries
2 Barboides gracilis (started w/ 6, gonna get some more soon)
2 Unknown barb-like fish (Forgot their names)
Azoo Filter
13 Watts CF lighting

Now for pics (the good part)...Sorry for dirty looking tank, just re-arranged and made it very cloudy. Will get better pics when it clears.

THANK YOU for looking and any help/comments you can give.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well IMO the tank looks very good and it will look awesome once those plants grow in especially that Java Moss ;) Have you considered adding some driftwood and attaching some moss to it? (You sure do have a lot of moss!) I hope you are not planning on breeding the RCS because those fish eat most if not all the baby shrimp. And unless you have a sponge filter or a pre-filter over your filter's intake the filter will suck up any surviving shrimplets. Thanks for sharing pictures, hope to see more updates soon! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fish are to small to eat the babies (at least they havent yet). Ive already had several hatches. Started off with 10-12 Cherries and last count I was over 35. And I do have the current filter baby shrimp proofed. I originally had a piece of driftwood with Christmas moss on it, but when I did the moss on the slate I didnt have room for it anymore. So thats all the moss I am going to have for now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would recommend replacing that light with something stronger. Is that the stock light that comes with the Picotope? If so, it's only 9w and half of that is actinic. I have the same tank but have replaced the light with a 27w compact flouro setup. You'll want at least 20w over the tank to really get good plant growth.

Other than that, it looks great! :proud:

·
Registered
889 Posts
The fish are to small to eat the babies (at least they havent yet). Ive already had several hatches. Started off with 10-12 Cherries and last count I was over 35. And I do have the current filter baby shrimp proofed. I originally had a piece of driftwood with Christmas moss on it, but when I did the moss on the slate I didnt have room for it anymore. So thats all the moss I am going to have for now.
Well, in that case, great job man:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I wanted this tank simply for the RCS so I did my research. Wasnt even planing on fish, but I saw those little fish and got excited and bought some. The full grown "barb like" fish are about the size of a full grown RCS. If they do eat any of the babies, its not showing in number of RCS I currently have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.