The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an empty 3 foot aquarium sitting in my lounge and have no idea what to do with it. Needs to house a pair of BN's but apart from that, it can be anything. Getting a couple of new light tubes tomorrow so I can grow decent plants.

I like the idea of convexity. How would I create this? What should this tank be?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
What are the dimensions on that tank? They look great.

While personally I'm a fan of dutch styles, I think it would look nice as an iwagumi. Or maybe a very colorful nature style with some nice spindly driftwood. So yeah, anything really. Boy I'm alot of help arn't I?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I agree with Dollface, the an iwagumi setup would look good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dimensions are 36"x12"x12" (90x30x30cm), thanks.

And yes, you're right oldpunk78, that is convexity. It looks super cool especially in these tanks:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=147
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=206

Put in my pea gravel today, nothing fancy and bought two new light tubes (4000K daylight and BioLux) from a hobby hydroponics place. Going down to the local stream to get some rocks soon because all the LFS stocks is Schist. Plus I got some plae blue backing paper.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Oh, an Island scape. :D

Wow, that's like the one style I wouldn't have thought of for this tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How come Dollface? I think it'd go nicely.

Just collected four medium sized rocks. Was keen to get more but someone was getting suspicious. lol

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I quite like island scapes (they might actually be my favortie style). But I've always been partial to taller tanks for that kind of scape. I think the shorter tanks don't allow for as much room for plants.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
ahh... i bet you could get 2-3 islands in there. but they'd have to be pretty shallow. (like two on one side and one on the on other.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2-3?! I was thinking one. Anyways...

Put the rocks in and filled it up with water. Doesn't look like an island but hopefully the plants will fix that. Still running old tubes until the tank is cycled, then I'll add the plants a fish.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
push the rocks into the substrate.
vary the size of the rocks more (large, medium, small).
and use odd numbers, 1,3,5 rock. (makes the composition more dynamic)

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Those rocks have a really cool texture. I think that the one on the far left should be in the spot the kind of reddish one is in now, though. It looks a little out of place way off to the side.

I would also mound the gravel up around them, it should help with the Island look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, this tank needs ALOT of tweaking but hopefully the plants will hide the rocks. I pushed them into the gravel more but still can't get it quite right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking of planting hairgrass at the back corners and having a nice glosso carpet in the front. Rotala and maybe Polysperma behind the rocks and Riccia tied to the rocks.

Will 60w/1.333w/L be enough for the above plants? Is that 3wpg?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would think about standing up that rock 2nd from the left, adding more vertical lines. Then break the rock all the way on the left and use the pieces to provide worshippers to the standing rock. Consider breaking the right two rocks to create medium sized subordinates.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't posted in a while so here's a pic:

I've finished the Ammonia part of cycling. At 1ppm this morning, now waiting for Nitrite to spike. Planted some Hairgrass that came out of one of my nano tanks but it's still a bit thin, ordering some more. Hoping to get some Glosso and will fit new light tubes later.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts