The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just got the new fluval edge 2 were i work. its got twice the volume as the old one with the same footprint which makes it a bit difficult to scape. it also has LED lights which seem a lot better than the halogens, but i still wouldn't say it's a high light tank.

i would have liked to create more height with the wood but i didn't have much time to play with hardscape. we just stocked up on goldvine so i used it here to hopefuly boost goldvine sales. i went through heaps of pieces trying to find ones that would fit into the hole at the top of the tank. a guy brought in some mystery moss into store the other day so i used that on the base of the wood and on some rocks around the front. the plants behind the moss are crypt sp, in the middle behind the wood is crypt retrospiralis and a species of dwarf val.

2 small bits of goldvine

planted

filled

the next day

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
If you're willing to go through EVEN more trouble you could fit in multiple pieces of wood and then zip tie them inside the tank. But what you did with those two pieces looks really good. It immediately brings the attention towards the center of the tank!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looks great! You're seriously tempting me :D

Since you have access to the new models... and the old one as well I presume, can you do me a favor and snag some measurements for me next time you have one apart?

Specifically, I'd like to know if the two screw holes on the legs of the light fixture that attach to the rear upright filter housing are the same distance apart on the new model as they are on the old one... also, are they the same distance apart on both sizes of the new model (the 6 gal and the 10gal)?

You see, Hagen has promised us that the new LED lightbar will be available eventually as a replacement part and I'd like to be able to buy it for use on my old model Edge. Before I decide what to order, I'd like to know if both LED lightbars (the one for the 10gal and the one for the 6gal) are the same size, thus enabling the installation of the higher output LED from the 10 gal onto my old model 6 gal.

Does this make sense? If you can do this that would be amazing!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks nice! My first-gen Edge is such a nightmare to scape that I'm going to avoid this one...
Lol that is exactly my thought. I still have mine though. In a year and half, I broke it down 3 times and about to do my fourth. Maybe not... It is a pain to maintain it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From your pictures it looks like the light spread is pretty good w/ the LED bar in the 12 gal... Have you set up the 6 gal LED in your shop yet, how's the spread on that?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
that looks amazing, but what about the 6 gal edge on the right of this tank? i see a small portion of it and am really liking what i think is a really perfect scape for the edge. can we please get an FTS pic of that one too? thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From your pictures it looks like the light spread is pretty good w/ the LED bar in the 12 gal... Have you set up the 6 gal LED in your shop yet, how's the spread on that?
i haven't setup the new 23L coz we already have 2 of the old ones on display.

that looks amazing, but what about the 6 gal edge on the right of this tank? i see a small portion of it and am really liking what i think is a really perfect scape for the edge. can we please get an FTS pic of that one too? thanks!
this one was setup by the boss:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yep, that does look very good. not exactly the way i expected it to be, but still nice! i gives me a nice idea about how to scape a FW edge if i ever get one =)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the boss sold off these two tanks. i was really sad to see the tall one go because the moss was just starting to look really good. oh well...

the up side is i get to set up 2 more edges. we're still waiting for the shipment of the 46L ones so i set up the 23L edge today. it has white silica sand, malaysian driftwood and lots of anubias nana. fish are whitefin tetras.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am looking for a nano tank for shrimp , plants and small fish. for the house. Is this fluval edge system hard to maintain? I have been in fish tanks for years and no the demands of a planted tank but wondering if the total sealed top creates issues over going with a rimless tank which i hear people state evaporate to fast and leave marks ? Thoughts? I have also looked at the ecoxotic desktop tank.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks nice! My first-gen Edge is such a nightmare to scape that I'm going to avoid this one...
Amen to that!!! I love the look of the design but the functionality leaves a lot to be desired. The bigger version may fix some of this by adding height for access, but they are almost impossible to reach the corners in. I plan on waiting to see what more people think before I run out an get one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i've found the edges quite easy to maintain. the light is quite directional and doesn't really hit the glass much so i've never cleaned the glass on any of the edges if cared for. the only thing is if you want to change the scape you need to take out some water to get your hand in so make sure youre happy with the scape before you fill. and also when you top up the tank there will be bubbles in the top glass, i use a bendy brush to get rid of the bubbles. i think the trick with these tanks is to keep low maintenance, slow growing plants.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i setup the tall one the other day, will be planting up the one on the left soon after i replace the halogens with the LEDs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts