The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I ask for your assistance in feeding my 3 very hungry dwarf puffers.

They have completely devoured every last snail big and small from previous donations.

Please PM me if you have any to donate and live reasonably close to the Long Beach CA area. One batch got cooked via US mail from NY so I’m trying to stay a little closer... P U! :confused:

Any help will be appreciated. :angel:

Thnx!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh, you should've asked sooner. I threw out a whole bunch (threw them out the window :p) cause they were starting to take over my 29 gallon tank.

No worries, I'm sure I'll have a whole bunch for you in no time at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get live bloodworms for them from the lfs. They've eaten that exclusively for a few years, and one wonders if that diet is killing them, but they're fat and healthy!
I do too but I see an increase in tank mate fatalities... I think the worms have nasty critters in them that effects the weak.

It only on special occasions they get the worms...

I think snails are more fun to feed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to grow your own

My dwarf puffers love snails too. I'd recommend raising your own.

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/foods/snails.htm

I have a 1 gallon tank with compact florescent light, half full with water, a piece of cuttlebone, and some java moss. Every few days I throw in some lettuce and every two weeks I replace most of the water. The java moss is doing very well in there and I get lots of baby snails. I store the entire unit out of sight in the stand for my 30 gallon tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My local Petsmart is more than happy to give away the pond snails. Have you tried there? I don't know about Petco though.

Good Luck...if you do get some from there, these snails breed like rabbits! Set up a 5g or a 10g and drop in an algae wafer every so often, and they will take over...don't over feed, but the more food available, the more snails will be produced. As soon as you start to see the jelly sacks, you can start to feed the adults...just don't feed all the adults, or you will have to wait for the hatchlings to get big enough to reproduce...after about 2 weeks or so, you should have enough egg sacks to start harvesting the adults.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.