The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm going to be out of town for 3 days and I have no one to feed my fish. I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank with cardinals, rummy noses, ottos, shrimps, and assassin snails. Would they make it or should I buy an automatic feeder for the 3 days that I'm going to be gone?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
absolutely
the first one dead is the first one eaten
hahaha I'm sure that made the OP feel better about it LOL

three days to even a week without food isn't a big problem for adult fish.
at reduced temperatures last winter I fed a tank only once a week trying an experiment. fish didn't even look thinner at the end of it.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
LOl,thats one way to look at it huh!

Anyhow,most fish will indeed be fine for days without food.There was even an account of a betta in shipment for two weeks and when the box arrived,he was fine.Hungry,but fine.
Yea Bettas are freaking unstoppable. I used to work at a petstore and we got our shipment of Bettas in and one of the containers was tipped upside down and the only water was what the fish was laying on, enough to stay wet. Anyway, plopped him into a new container with water and he was good as new.

·
Registered
745 Posts
^^bettas do that in the wild tho

they burrow into the ground during the dry season...they can survive breathing air directly (and I think they HAVE to) most other fish cant

can you gas a betta w/ CO2?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I second everyone's advice. Have left my fish on 3-day weekends with no ill effects, ever. Anything longer and I leave one of those dissolving feeder stones. Seems to work just fine. Don't stress over it, your fish will be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.