Nano questions?

• Should I add an air stone at night?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have used this site to start a new 3.92 gallon planted nano.

Here are the specifics:
Tank: 23.5W x 7H x 5.5D (Custom)
Filter: Top Fin 10
Heater: None
Light: 15W Flora-Glo and 15W Sun-Glo Single Fixture
Substrate: 2-3 inches of light tan pea gravel mixed with 2/3 laterite
Plants: 1 Micranthemum Umbrosum
1 Myrophyllum Tubercultum (Red)
2 Java Ferns
2 Java moss on bogwood
1 Limnophila Aquatica
1 Crystalwort
1 Dwarf Hair Grass
CO2: Hydro Green NRG Exclusive with diffuser @ 4 bpm.

Should I turn off the CO2 when the lights are off?
Do I need to add an air stone or is filter water break enough 02?
How often should I fertilize? Currently in place Seachem Flourish Tabs.
How often should I do water changes? Should I use tap water or water from a 75 gallon fish tank to replace water when changed?

Thanks for any advice!
Alan

Austin, Texas

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Whoa, neat setup. I love the sweeping hills and arching wood, it's a great look.

I'll let more knowledgeable folks deal with specifics, but here are my first thoughts:

Don't turn off CO2 at night; changes in CO2 availability can cause huge swings in pH, especially in a nano tank. I wouldn't risk it; if you add fauna in the future, the pH swings could hurt them, and the changes in CO2 availability could bring about algae issues.

If the filter agitates the surface enough, you should be okay without an airstone.

You will want more ferts than just root tabs, I think. Some of those plants will benefit from having nutrients available in the water column. I use the Seachem Flourish line of liquid fertilizers, but you'll find many people here who swear by dry ferts as the way to go. Check out this thread for more info about dosing regimes and schedules. Also try searching for things like "nano fert dosing".

I would do a weekly 50% water change. Use treated tap water.

30W over nearly 4 gal should be okay... definitely high light, though, so watch for algae issues. You should be able to grow just about any plant you want!

I'm biased, I like shrimp. But in your tank, I think a silvery or bluish fish would like good, so an oto cat (or two) is a solid choice.

Question: did you boil your driftwood prior to adding it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I have been shutting off the C02 @ night. That explains my PH has been all over the place so hopefully the leaving the C02 on will do the trick. I will try the Seachem liquid ferts. I'm currently running Carbon in my filter, I'm thinking I should change it... any thoughts on best choice of filter media?

As for the wood I had boiled it but not recently, I've had wood over 10-12 years in and out of tanks where it never really fit in. This time I think the wood has found the right home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar size tank like yours 20x9x7 so I love the size.
15watts is definitely enough since the tank is short. Closer the light, the more intensity. You can probably get 18watt T8 that are 24".

The flow rate of your Top Fin 10 is pretty strong. I hope you have it horizontally so it pushes the water across the 24" width.

CO2 and higher light will make things grow a lot faster, might not be a good thing for such a short tank. Besides your stem plants, the other plants aren't super CO2 hungry and your stems are already at the water surface. But your other plants will fill their areas a lot quicker with CO2. You might want to consider excel (a lot slower growth), but really depends on you. Doing water changes also give a boost of CO2 each time, so weekly/other week works great if you decide to go the excel route.

Unless you have animals, you don't really need to add O2, even then the Plants should provide enough O2 from photosynthesis. With water changes, doing mechanical filtration and your plants/bacterias doing biological. I don't think you need a filter at all (unless you're keeping animals that requires super clean water to breed). Just some light water movement to circulate the water should be enough.

Fertilizing, just follow the direction. Non-distill tap water should provide some minerals. Unless your low on some minerals like IRON for bringing out the reds in your plants. you might not have to add much of anything besides your root tabs.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I admit to prefering the low tech nanotank, too.

That being said you set up a gorgeous landscape:icon_lol:. You will have to watch out for algae with the lighting you have.

I also think certain fish or shrimp might be very interesting in that landscape. Altho I also believe it would remain a treat as a planted tank without "wildlife"!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Great Poll!

Just kidding, maybe posting at 3AM is why it was funny.

Seriously great tank, the scale will be tough to keep long term but whats life without a little bit of a challenge? I also would recommend not going with ottos and getting a couple shrimp. Just now I heard banging and saw my ottos slamming into my tank walls, they're in a 55g... so they like to swim to say the least.

Keep it up!
-Andrew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cainm13

You've got a very nice Nano tank. (20x9x7) From pics is looks like a 30gal show tank. I like the taller slender plant you have on the right back ground kinda mixed in with your drift wood. Do you remember the name of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A Hill and ravenmyth

I'm leaning towards some shrimp. Algae is starting to grow on the top of the driftwood. Expensive taste... has me paused at the moment.

So much for a low tech nanotank when the price for the shrimp I like is $30-50 for five.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.