The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning of creating a medium to heavily planted tank with all those kinds of plants in it. particularly HC cuba as my foreground carpet. do u guys think 2x24W T5HO would still be too much for a 10 Gallon tank? or i can just double or triple up my DIY Co2 and Fertilizers?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If you don't mind the maintenance related to insane growth and constant dosing, the higher initial and ongoing expense, possible problems with heat transfer, and the fact that 2ft bulbs overhang a 10gal tank by a couple of inches, I don't see any problems doing this.

I wouldn't start it out that way, the risk of turning it into some algae farm is pretty high. Once it is established/algae free for a few weeks, you can go full blast.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
One of those T5HO bulbs would give you high light intensity. Two gives twice as much light. If the purpose of a hobby is to keep you busy doing things, this might work perfectly. You will certainly be busy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
it's not THAT bad. I have a 15gal (24x12x12) with the same lighting. I have the light raised ~8 inches off the water's surface. Definitely listen to the experienced here on the constant maintenance though. My tank is on my desk at work so I have ample moments to reach in and prune a thing or two and am always looking at it. I don't think this setup would fare as well at my house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Heed the advice of Wasserpest and Hoppy. A second T5HO is not necessary and will give you an algae farm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bought the t5ho light fixture from aquaticlife 2x24W. i dont think its that bright. i thought my regular fluorescent which is only 15W single is more brighter. the first light is pinkish so its not that bright, its called roseate lamp and the other is a 6,000K lamp. since i added another DIY co2, my neons started grasping for air so i have to use just one 2L bottle of diy co2.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Keeping your diy co2 consistant is key with high lighting setup, just remember that algae will be knocking on your front door, or busting through a window if your co2 isnt maintained.
I would also try what Wasserpest stated,
Wasserpest said:
Once it is established/algae free for a few weeks, you can go full blast.
If you want to,try starting off with one of the bulbs first, it is more than plenty of light for a 10g like what several others have said. Once you get more of a plant mass in the tank, and if you want to keep up with the extra maintenance, add the second bulb. I have the same light on the same size tank(both bulbs), and it does require a ton of trimming. I also have a bunch of Duckweed to help block some of the light. As long as my co2 stays strong, algae isnt that much of an issue.

Goodluck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.