The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All I am fairly new to keeping a planted tank but I,ve spent lots of time reading a going over forums. Once i was comfortable enough to start a tank i set up a 20gal that was given to me. There is lots to learn but i am pluging along. I recently purchased a nova extreme 2x24 watt 24 inch freshwater light, seems good quality, dual reflector and all. The question i have is on the instructions it says not designed for use on a open top tank, What does this mean? And how important is it. The light sits 2 inch over the tank with snap on legs and has a splash protector under the bulbs, so What is the deal...Thanks for the help:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey and welcome to TPT! I second what bsmith said, they more or less want to protect them selves by first protecting you and your surroundings. I have a 36" nova extreme and I have my splash guard on and I place it over my open top tank. Haven't had any problems with it other than water evaporation but no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man the replies come fast here this is a great forum thanks for all the help
One last question
I have 2x24 watts of t5 light over the 20 gal which puts me at 2.4 watt/gal is that a good bit of light for the tank for plant growth and will it require me to supply c02

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is it a 20 gallon long or tall? I assume it is a 20 tall, since the fixture is 24" long. I have the same fixture on my 29 gallon, I have no algae and don't use CO2 or add fertilizer (trace elements occasionally). The tank is pretty heavily stocked though.

A lot of people say it is too much light for no CO2. You can set up a DIY CO2 system pretty easily though.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I have seen you post your experience in alot of threads. I have to ask when you say your tank is stocked heavily, what exactly do you mean by that? Im sure it has got to be the reason you dont have co2 with that lighting and dont have an algae farm.

Is it a 20 gallon long or tall? I assume it is a 20 tall, since the fixture is 24" long. I have the same fixture on my 29 gallon, I have no algae and don't use CO2 or add fertilizer (trace elements occasionally). The tank is pretty heavily stocked though.

A lot of people say it is too much light for no CO2. You can set up a DIY CO2 system pretty easily though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.