The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 2x23 CFL watt spread 10" above a 10x20" emersed bin decent lighting? I can't really afford to pay for a 2x15watt 20" fixture right now and I already have those clip on work lights..Do you guys think that's enough light to get good growth or is it just a waste of time?

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done well with them I actually went to 2 18w bulbs. They get hot after a while.
Oh okay. I was just worried that it'd be even SLOWER than having them in my tank...I'm growing crypts and anubias so it's already like farming rocks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use 2 x 23w CFL bulbs mounted horizontally about 7" over a 7.5 gal. cube and have more than enough light. Do you have the ability to raise or lower the bulbs as needed? Also, if they are the spiral type bulbs you get stronger light when the bulbs are mounted with the bulb facing downward rather than horizontally. If you are not using CO2 and fertilizing regularly 2 x 23w might be too much light.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use 2 x 23w CFL bulbs about 7" over a 7.5 gal. cube and have more than enough light. Do you have the ability to raise or lower the bulbs as needed? Also, if they are the spiral type bulbs you get stronger light when the bulbs are mounted with the bulb facing downward rather than horizontally.
10" is the minimum distance since I have a humidity dome. This is 10" from the bottom of the pan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.