The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got the bargain of the century, I won 2 auctions for brand new 2028s with media for $150 ea!! To put it in perspective, the big sunsun filters sell for that here.

I currently have an Aqua One cf1200, cheap chinese unit similar to the sunsun filters, very highly recommend here for the price. The single filter isn't cutting it so I was planning to run a 2nd the same. These eheims published flow rates are exactly the same as my cf1200, but this I think could be a problem.

Questions
1. Are the eheim flow rates with or without media and head height?
2. Can the flowrate on the eheims be reduced?

I've read conflicting opinions on how eheim rates their filters. An online shop here states max output of 1050lph.

I can reduce flow on my cf1200 but its on full. On the box it states actual flow is 750lph, pump output 1100lph. 2 of these I think would be perfect but if the eheims flow rates include media etc I think it may be too much.

Any help would be great, will do some research, only had a quick look before buying as its so cheap I could make money off them.

Cheers,
Evan.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Eheim circulation flow rates are normally stated with new media and hoses of equal length to be 750 LPH. The pump output is 1050 LPH at 0 head, which is really irrelevant for our purposes because no one uses just the pump.

The maximum head height is 71" but of course the flow will be reduced at that height.

You can control the output flow by slightly closing the lever on the adapter.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I love my eheims for stability, size and function, but the flow isn't that strong to be honest. I have a 2080 and 2075 and my fluval 305 puts out more power. In a planted tank or normal fish tank you probably want slower flow anyways but I have them on turtle tanks and want that pressure to move water around, so I modded the outputs to be a small output hole so the pressure is greater, added a powerhead and all is good. I barely have to clean them and turtles are messy little buggers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok great, thats just what I wanted to hear! Looks like the eheims will have a similar flow rate to my current filter, which with 2 will be about perfect. Thanks everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.