The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. The last thing I have to purchase for my new setup is lighting. My LFS has (had?) some good deals on Kessil products and seeing the A80 in person made me wonder if those could work.

My tank will be South American themed with a boat load of Jungle Val, swords, some large driftwood pieces and maybe some leaf litter. The tank is a standard acrylic 75; 48x18x20. I’ll have a bit of slope from the front to the back. CO2, BDBS with a good number of root tabs, etc. I’m not going for carpeting plants or much growth on/near the bottom. All of my plants are 10”+. Might even go the black water route, eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,860 Posts

par map at 12" free air.
Diode " color" doesn't particularly matter though there could be slight efficiency differences and under reporting of violet/ uv.

Each kessil is only 15 w. My personal opinion is not to start at much less than 1 w/ gallon for normal tanks ( not too shallow/ not too deep) dimmable of course.

Then there is the width thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you'd be way underpowered with the a80s on a tank that size. A pair of 160s should do okay I think.
(y) This is true. I have 2 A80s on a IM nuvo peninsula 20g tank that I could grow HC Cuba in no prob. Your tank is much larger and deeper than I had. Go with with more firepower. I know you're not growing carpeting plants or much on the bottom, but better to have more powerful lights and turn them down then to not have enough if you need more down the road. I like my A80s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts