The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to source a duel bayonet 4ft LED 18watt 5700k water proof light setup up for $80. The supplier has mentioned that this set up is being used at a local Australian university in a horticultural department to grow herbs hydroponicly. Hence the reason why there so cheap the uni has ordered a ton of them. Will the duel 18 watt 5700k light spectrum be sufficient enough to penetrate a 1 and 1\2 foot tank for plant growth in a low tech tank? Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I have managed to source a duel bayonet 4ft LED 18watt 5700k water proof light setup up for $80. The supplier has mentioned that this set up is being used at a local Australian university in a horticultural department to grow herbs hydroponicly. Hence the reason why there so cheap the uni has ordered a ton of them. Will the duel 18 watt 5700k light spectrum be sufficient enough to penetrate a 1 and 1\2 foot tank for plant growth in a low tech tank? Any suggestions are welcomed.
Just to be clear this is 2 tubes, each 18W (36w total) @ 4ft

Considering a university ordered them for a specific purpose would imply (if the vendor is not pulling your leg) they at least put some thought into their spectral output it could be just fine or better..
As to 1 1/2 foot depth well that isn't too deep.

There are a lot of guesstimates, including other available lighting in your area.. but it sounds like it should work just fine.

W luck they tweaked the spectrum in the red to be more PAR efficient.. No way of me knowing though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to be clear this is 2 tubes, each 18W (36w total) @ 4ft

Considering a university ordered them for a specific purpose would imply (if the vendor is not pulling your leg) they at least put some thought into their spectral output it could be just fine or better..
As to 1 1/2 foot depth well that isn't too deep.

There are a lot of guesstimates, including other available lighting in your area.. but it sounds like it should work just fine.

W luck they tweaked the spectrum in the red to be more PAR efficient.. No way of me knowing though.
Thanks for the feed back the vendor is a private business called S-Tech here in Perth Australia, they have also scored the contract to lighting the new Singapore airport. They work from a small warehouse building there own LED'S for function by function applications. It was completely by chance I stumbled across them after being told by a franchise lighting store to go check them out.

And yes the fixture is a duel 18watt setup also funny you should mention par value I was just looking into that moments before I seen your post I'll defiantly be enquiring into its rating. Sorry I should have put a Noob warning at the top of my post lol.

Just to mention quality rayon LEDs are in excess of $500 a unit here and units like finnex are not sold and will not ship to Australia. We get cheap ADA knock off brands from China that our LFS charges in excess of $200 for a 3ft fixture. Even 30watt led floodlights are $130 from local suppliers. Its a bloody rip job here in oz mate besides iv got 3 x 4ft tanks to light And the budget is tight.

These tanks are breeder tanks and the plants I will be using will be crypts, anubias, Java ferns etc etc. In pots or attached to drift wood for easy removal and relocation. I could just put dirty old CFLs in as a cheap option but if want to plant some sections I d like the option to do so.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Thanks for the feed back the vendor is a private business called S-Tech here in Perth Australia, they have also scored the contract to lighting the new Singapore airport. They work from a small warehouse building there own LED'S for function by function applications. It was completely by chance I stumbled across them after being told by a franchise lighting store to go check them out.

And yes the fixture is a duel 18watt setup also funny you should mention par value I was just looking into that moments before I seen your post I'll defiantly be enquiring into its rating. Sorry I should have put a Noob warning at the top of my post lol.

Just to mention quality rayon LEDs are in excess of $500 a unit here and units like finnex are not sold and will not ship to Australia. We get cheap ADA knock off brands from China that our LFS charges in excess of $200 for a 3ft fixture. Even 30watt led floodlights are $130 from local suppliers. Its a bloody rip job here in oz mate besides iv got 3 x 4ft tanks to light And the budget is tight.

These tanks are breeder tanks and the plants I will be using will be crypts, anubias, Java ferns etc etc. In pots or attached to drift wood for easy removal and relocation. I could just put dirty old CFLs in as a cheap option but if want to plant some sections I d like the option to do so.
I've browsed fleabay AU a few times and yes, considering your proximity to the major "suppliers" I do find it interesting....... Of course I've noticed the same w/ DSLR stuff as well..

Anyways, I'm curious as to what you find out.. I really can't imagine a Univ just getting "Stock" 5700k white lights..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.