The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the forum almost daily for a year now and am excited to finally be posting!:nerd:
I set up my first planted tank last October, a 45p with an Eheim 2213 canister, ONF Flat Nano Plus light, inline diffuser, Hydor inline heater, and 13mm nano lily pipes. I ended up having to convert it to a low tech 6 months in because I wasn't able to get my co2 refilled during quarantine. I then got hit with an explosion of seed shrimp (the tiny ones, and I don't overfeed, I clean weekly and I used all tissue culture plants so I have no idea where they came from) which ended up outcompeting my otocats. I then introduced a dwarf gourami which cut their population down, and was able to re-introduce new otocats that have been happily keeping the tank in check ever since.

I feel like I've learned a lot and now want to go a little bigger with a 60p and gain more experience with layouts. I've slowly been building a new kit for the larger build. So far I have:
  • ADA 60p (17 US gal/approx 60 liters)
  • Biomaster Thermo 250 (250GPH)
  • Chihiros Series WRGB II 60 light
  • more hardscape than last time >:)

My key questions are -
1: Is there any possible way to get the epiphyte plants out of the 45p like the anubias nana petite, and not transfer the seed shrimp into the 60p? Should I bring them along for the ride and let them help control algae in the new tank? (my family eats dinner right next to the tank so there's a slight gross factor to seeing them).

2: Is there any possible way to rid the 45p system of seed shrimp all together? It seems like it's unlikely. My goal would be to turn it into a farm tank for the 60p, but possibly sell some of the fancier bits like the light and canister filter and go with a flood light and hob filter. Would there be moral issues with selling the filter knowing there was seed shrimp in the system?

3: My 60p tank's biomaster has 16/22mm hosing, but I was thinking 17mm lily pipes would be too bulky on a 60p and I can't find any visual reference comparing 13mm pipes to 17mm ones, so I opted to get 13mm pipes and just use them with the 16/22mm hose with adapters. I was also thinking of moving away from an inline diffuser because once I converted to low tech, I really enjoyed the lack of bubbles. I'm looking at reactors instead like Sera makes. My question is, do I keep the 13mm lily pipes or exchange them for 17mm. If so how much larger would those be? If I kept 13mm lily pipes, would that impact my flow enough to prevent the inline reactor from working properly? Is a reactor insane for a 60p?

Attachments

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any takers?

Any advice out there? I think my original post was way too lengthy. Just to sum up my questions:

1-Do people with experience with the small variety of seed shrimp like them, and would they intentionally introduce them to a new tank via bringing plants and/or livestock over? I am currently using a dwarf gourami to keep their numbers waay down in my current tank, but for the new tank, I've been curious if a german blue ram (or two) could fill that role in the new tank if I intentionally cross contaminated the two tanks. Should I just keep the two systems isolated instead?

2-I'm going to use a biomaster thermo 250 on the 60p, which seems like overkill. With that overkill factor in mind, would using smaller lily pipes (13mm) on the 16/22 hoses cause too much flow restriction to prevent a small co2 reactor like Sera makes from being able to work properly without gas buildup inside it at the end of the day? Can I even use a small reactor on a small tank like a 60p?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.