The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So getting a 90 gallon setup tommrow, pretty nice setup. but lighting will be a challenge. the tank is a normal 90 gallon 48x18x25. The tank comes with a 48in Current USA Sat +, which while a solid light will be a bit dim at the bottom of the tank (20ish par from my research)

tank is primarily going to be anubias on big tall drift wood and a bunch of crypts, all of which i'm guessing will be fine. what would be a good backgound plant that will grow to the surface. would val do alright in my tank? i've always struggled to get vals to go, gotten them 3 times and while I never killed them, they aways seem to melt back and then regrow short (5-8 inches max) I would love the back 6-8inch of the tank to basically be a thicket of tall plants"

·
Registered
918 Posts
I second Cryptocorne balansae. I have Cryptocorne balansae and jungle val and they form a dense thicket. They don't require high light, either.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I love crypts but they melt too easily. If water temp drops too quick or ferts change they will drop leaves.

Vals are not like that. They are not as sensitive ime. I had Val nana tiger variety. Different look but still very pretty plant.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
So getting a 90 gallon setup tommrow, pretty nice setup. but lighting will be a challenge. the tank is a normal 90 gallon 48x18x25. The tank comes with a 48in Current USA Sat +, which while a solid light will be a bit dim at the bottom of the tank (20ish par from my research)

tank is primarily going to be anubias on big tall drift wood and a bunch of crypts, all of which i'm guessing will be fine. what would be a good backgound plant that will grow to the surface. would val do alright in my tank? i've always struggled to get vals to go, gotten them 3 times and while I never killed them, they aways seem to melt back and then regrow short (5-8 inches max) I would love the back 6-8inch of the tank to basically be a thicket of tall plants"
Nice tall val in the roak section go put your name in for it

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gorgeous catfish
thanks, when I was reading over the stock list for the tank before I picted it up and looked them up all I saw was a big pictus which I don't care for personality and temperment wise and was going to sell/rehome them. well they grew on me almost instantly, so think they are staying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is some vals in my 90 gallon. Every once in a while they do melt back but just give them some time to fill out and they will grow to look fuller. Another plant I love that gets bushy and full is ludwiga (far right). I am constantly hacking it down. I have just a plain shop light quad T5HO ( canopy to hide ugliness). I had a current satellite plus and 2 t8 fixture before and it was not enough for me. Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
. . . would val do alright in my tank? i've always struggled to get vals to go, gotten them 3 times and while I never killed them, they aways seem to melt back and then regrow short (5-8 inches max) I would love the back 6-8inch of the tank to basically be a thicket of tall plants"
About Vallisneria: Every time I've had a problem with Vallisneria (all varieties) the culprit has been not enough potassium. There's always been plenty of available nitrogen, iron and everything else, but low potassium. A cheap and easy way to fix low potassium is to add a couple of table spoons of Epsom Salt when you do a water change. That's about as much as I've ever needed to get Vals to quit melting, turning brown and or losing leaves. The other plants seem to like it too.

Have you considered planting healthy green strands of anacharis in clusters of three and five strands? I have to confess that I adore anacharis and so do residents in my tanks. I let it grow to long healthy strands that float at the top. When they create too much shade I just cut them back and plant the cuttings in other spots. However, if you're a fan of Seachems Flourish, anacharis will quickly turn to mush. It's an old aquarium plant, but I don't know of any other that helps keep tank water as pristine. And when used judiciously it's a great "true" aquatic plant.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts