The Planted Tank Forum banner

2g Plant Oasis

1128 3
So this is my first post (hurray!). I have an extra 2g tank lying around my house expecting to be used and I thought, hey why not plant it? I've done some mild planting in my fish tanks, but I think that I want to go as full out as I possably can on it. There'll be no fish... At least I hope not for a while.

I was thinking about doing some DIY CO2 on it, but I've never done CO2 and have no clue what to do. I've done a decent amount of reading about it. Would I need a drop checker (if that's what it's called) for the tank even though there are no fish? Should I even do it on the tank? I'm thinking just a bulb over top of it, a 13w 6500K bulb of course. Is that over doing it? I have an extra one of those, but I can always go get a smaller wattage one if need be.

Also, would I be needing ferts for the tank? I can't find that many ferts around where I live, the best I could do is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Leaf Zone Aquarium Plant Food or Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, are they any good? Sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm just getting started on this whole planting thing:)

One last final question: what plants? I'm thinking something medium-hard. I've done the easy and I've dipped a little into the medium stuff, I think that I want something a tad bit harder.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully answering some questions!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I heard that these nano tanks can be really hard to balance. So if I were you, I'd go with an anubias/moss kind of thing. I have one on my windowsill with a bit of driftwood I found and a few RCS. All I do is feed them once a month and top off. I'm lazy, though. DIY co2 might be hard in such a small thing, esp if you want livestock.

OH! welcome to tpt!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've decided not to do any livestock so that way I can do CO2. I do love my moss... I'll probably do a bunch of that and maybe a few other plants as well... Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, I vote anubias nana. They are little immortal beasts. I heard that pellia's also pretty good, a nice compliment to the moss. If you do want something moving to look at, try a few ghost feeder shrimp. Even if they die, you won't have spent more than 5c on one, and they'd die in a mossy tank instead in a oscar.

As for co2, it's really hard to balance the nutrient and co2 dissolution unless you have areally good system of replacing it. The fluctuating levels spur algae growth. I ended up forgetting to replace it once or twice and woke up to BBA.

But don't let that scare you, it's worth a try, esp if you have stem plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.