The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking down a couple 10g tanks and combining them into a 29g (Or a pair of 29g... I have two available, but only plan to use one right now). Stock will come from the other tanks with the exception of the dwarf cichlid who I don't currently have.

According to AqAdviser this puts me right at a full house:
5 x Molly
4 x Corydoras duplicareus
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
8 x Neon Tetra
1 x Rio ***** Dwarf Cichlid (not currently kept, but considering. I've never kept one.)

Filtration in the new tank is an Oase Filtosmart 100 Thermo, max 210gph. I currently have HOB filters on the donor tanks and do weekly water changes of 15-20%. I'd like to increase the size of the Neon school to 12-16 but I might be overstocked at that point.

Plants I currently have and are growing in smooth gravel with CO2 Booster and Flourish dosed occasionally:
Anubias
Sword Fern
Java Fern
Ludwigia
Dwarf Hair Grass (letting it get tall, it was too hard to trim in gravel without knocking it loose everytime)

Would like to add some more plants including surface plants, and something tall. I have some bulbs I am not sure of.
Considering trying high tech for the growth, but not 100% sold yet.
Current lights are Fluval Aquasky 18w, may stick with those or similar

Substrate in the new tank will be sand. Not going for any kind of carpet.
Hardscape will probably be primarily driftwood. I'd like to find some nice spidery pieces, or one large piece with a few branches/large roots and a hollow spot or two.

I'm not 100% committed to any of this other than the fish I already have. I'm just getting more into the hobby and appreciate all of the advice I can get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm second guessing the Dwarf Cichlid now. I think I won't add a new fish I haven't kept before into a new community tank. Maybe I'll setup the second 29 for cichlids or some other new-to-me fish.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd consider adding a couple more cory to your school and maybe a couple more neons for 6 and 10 respectively instead of the cichlid, just my 2 cents.

A 2nd 29 gallon designed for a dwarf cichlid set up would be much more rewarding than trying to fit them into the current stock list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Light settings on the donor tanks. I've been trying long duration, low intensity. It's been a couple weeks and seems to be going well. Not getting a ton of growth, but not getting algae either. I think it is easier on the fish than blasting them with high intensity lights. This setting mimics sunrise and sunset fairly well. The moonlight stays on over night at very low intensity. In a dark room, the fish don't know I'm watching them. I haven't messed with the dynamic weather feature and don't think I will. The donor tanks get a few minutes of low angle sunlight at two different times of day, but the new tank will not get any additional direct light from the sun.
Sky Water resources Water Light Azure

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd consider adding a couple more cory to your school and maybe a couple more neons for 6 and 10 respectively instead of the cichlid, just my 2 cents.

A 2nd 29 gallon designed for a dwarf cichlid set up would be much more rewarding than trying to fit them into the current stock list.
I am 99% sure this is what I will do at this point. The mollies and neons will provide a lot of color, movement, and variety on their own. The cory will keep it lively on the substrate level. I don't think it needs another species. A separate dwarf cichlid setup with a different type of bottom dweller would be more interesting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well this never really worked out the way I planned, and now the first 29 is going to house an overabundance of black and gold dust mollies. Rather than starting a new tank journal, I decided to continue using this one.

In a different thread I contemplated the wisdom in using a modified Ikea book case as a stand, and ultimately decided against it and purchased a metal stand. I think I prefer a black, or opaque background, but I thought the predominantly black fish would stand out better against this color... kind of on the fence about how I like it, but it is too late to change it now.

I am adding shelves and textile bins to the bottom, which will conceal the Oase Filtosmart 200 thermo. I'll be able to pull the bins out and remove the filter for cleaning. I'm using the plumbing that comes with the filter, including the spray bar. I have some glass lily pipes, but they don't really work on this tank in conjunction with the glass top I am using to slow evaporation and jumpers. Substrate will be a mix of gravel and Flourite, capped with play sand. Hardscape will be sandstone rocks sourced from a local stream bed. Not going to spend a ton of time scaping, it needs to get up and running.

Lighting is from a Fluval Aquasky 24-36. I may add a second identical light, or use in conjunction with the plant version. Not planning any high light requirement plants at this time, but I may tinker with C02 and more demanding plants down the road. Right now, I just need a place to keep all these fish!

Rectangle Gas Wood Shelving Bottle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up and running. Looking pretty scruffy now, but hopefully it grows in nicely. Repens in the foreground and Ludwigia all along the back wall. Amazon sword to hide the filter intake eventually, There is a somewhat randomly placed Java fern and Anubias as well. I probably will add another light in the hopes that the Repens fills in some space. I may add some kind of tall skinny plant in the background between the Ludwigia. I will be coming up with a dosing regimen, and currently have API Leaf Zone and C02 booster as well as some root tabs. Mostly as a science experiment with my kids, I have a DIY CO2 setup to try out. I can see myself going to pressurized at some point, or upgrading to one of the nicer generator kits.

I've grown all of these plants in tanks before, but haven't been thrilled with how they developed. I'd like them to be bushier, which I suspect I need more light and nutrients to accomplish. We'll see how this one goes.

I'll be filling the canister with pre-cycled media and adding a few fish soon. I'll monitor parameters closely and add more fish when the coast is clear.

Property Wood Fluid Water Gas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.