The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of the SFBAAPS' member perks, I got the privilege of having several experienced aquarists in the group help redo my 29 gallon tank. The results after 2 months of growing in are below.
Comments welcome! :icon_smil

Front view:

The main attraction:

Right foreground:

Mid foreground:

Left foreground:

The algae! :angryfire :thumbsdow :mad:

And some dead/dying moss tied to the wood:

Some moss:

HC foreground:

Cherries on moss:

Amano closeup:

Dead AND alive ghost shrimp:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your tank is looking great. Besides those pieces of moss that are dying the other portions look outstanding!
Thanks!
I was initially treating some algae that was growing on that moss, so I OD with Excel on the moss. It killed the algae, but I think it also killed the moss in the process :icon_frow

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i been waiting to see how this has been doing :) looks good, i'm hoping to attend to the next open house but it's kinda far :(
I know, I'm so lazy... :icon_redf
You must a member of SFBAAPS, mind divulging who you are? I can't tell from your username...

I doubt I'll make it Kit's open house either, eventhough I'd love to go...so torn! :frown:

·
Registered
408 Posts
That looks really nice! Your driftwood...is that just one piece or several clumped together? You all seem to find the most outstanding pieces for your tanks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I was initially treating some algae that was growing on that moss, so I OD with Excel on the moss. It killed the algae, but I think it also killed the moss in the process
Yea I know what that is about. I did they same thing and the section I treated the moss with excel died off. I ended up replaceing the areas with healthy moss.
Later come to find out that excel and direct contact with moss has negative effects

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks really nice! Your driftwood...is that just one piece or several clumped together? You all seem to find the most outstanding pieces for your tanks.
The driftwood is actually about 4 separate pieces put together. It almost looks like a hand with the fingers that is carrying the plants...at least that's what I see.

I too can't wait for the HC to fill in...it's going to be beautiful! :icon_smil

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Tank looks good. I have that same algea growing in my tank!! What causes it and how do get rid of it. It is growing in amongst my micro sword. Friday night I tried to pull some of it out and it was attached to the substrate. How do you conquer that stuff???

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howie, looks good. To bad there weren't little bigger pieces of wood when we were putting it together. It looks like it should fill in really nice soon though. Its about time some pictures were posted.
hehehe, hey Ian! :icon_smil
I know, I've been so lazy!! I actually like the wood we used...not too big, not too small...although once the plants fill it, the wood will be obscured.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tank looks good. I have that same algea growing in my tank!! What causes it and how do get rid of it. It is growing in amongst my micro sword. Friday night I tried to pull some of it out and it was attached to the substrate. How do you conquer that stuff???
Well, I've been told it's because of low potassium. So I've been dosing potassium daily. I also up my CO2. I add micronutrients, and potassium as the macro only. Since I use Aquasoil, I've been told I do not need to dose nitrates.

I got rid of it 2 ways...physical removal during water changes, and tried the Excel method, which of course, led to some moss deaths. But I won't do the Excel one again, since I have shrimp in the tank now...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for the info. I order and received this morning from Greg Watson some Potassium nitrate to start dosing with because I have 0 nitrates in my tank. The plants just use them up. I will also get some potassium from this dosing so I will see how it goes. Thank again!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I order and received this morning from Greg Watson some Potassium nitrate to start dosing with because I have 0 nitrates in my tank. The plants just use them up. I will also get some potassium from this dosing so I will see how it goes. Thank again!
Hope your algae woes go away soon! :proud:
I only dose K and micro's because apparently, there's enough nitrates in the water column that I don't need to dose that. Maybe the Aquasoil has something to do with it? :icon_ques

Anyway, a few days ago, I picked up about 12 amano's, and several red cherries for the tank. I'm very happy to report that they have actually done a good job cleaning up the algae you see in the pic I posted! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts