The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I started this hobby two years ago. Now I have a 29g and a 10g. My 10 is planted with some very low Requirement plants (java fern) that are growing pretty well with just the stock hood. I decided to go out and buy lots of plants yetserday for my 29, bad idea. I only have a 1x20w bulb, and my canopy only holds one bulb. Im in a little bit of a fix. Im looking at a 1x65 watt light canopy from corallife, but I dont quite have the cash yet. I Blew it on the plants and a new bulb, and Im really kicking myself now :icon_mad:. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help keep my plants alive until then-I have seachem flourish, and am working on a diy CO2 system. Thanks for helping me guys.

Edit: In the tank now are Amazon Swords, Anarchis, Wisteria, and an Umbrella Plant.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like take the plants out and put them next to a sunny window?
Would 1x65 watt be good?
Yes if they are having a problem growing in the light you have until you can buy more lighting,

1x65 is roughly 2 watts per gallon or medium/low light. If you want more demanding plants that require higher light levels then you'll need to double or triple the light amount.

Doug

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
TY for all the help dude, should I hold off on DIY c02 until I get the more powerful lights?
No not really as the smaller amount of co2 obtained from yeast will not harm the tank any with what you have. or you can wait depends on your timeframe of getting the light system.

Rex is right though i believe the systm he recomends is not encased so you would have to construct some sort of hood/canopy for the unit to be in or just lay it on top of the glass (if present). If you are not the builder type then getting one that is already constructed might be your only option.

http://www.ahsupply.com/
Rex, is there a cheap hood/canopy for him?

Doug

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks again. I got DIY c02 up and running so maybe my plants have a fighting chance! Should iIdose with flourish everyday also?:bounce:
I'm not the floursih expert here but...

Lower amounts of co2, lower amounts of ferts. Try every 2-3 days to start IMHO. Raise later if needed.

Doug

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You can dose as much Flourish as you want. But it adds almost no macros to the water.

You can buy a wooden enclosure from AH Supply or just mount the kit in your current strip light.

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. Lots of stuff covered in there you have not even yet thought to ask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.