The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 29 gallon that has been up and running for about 5 months or so. In there now are 3 clown loaches, a rhino pleco, and 2 convicts. i am going to take the convicts out of the tank but i dont know what to put in. i am thinking of something not as intense as cichlids.

i want thinking maybe just doing a guppy tank or something that reproduces a lot. i have an oscar so when the tank gets over populated i can just relocate them to that tank. anyone have ideas on fish???

there is a possibility of this turning into a fully planted tank at some point but not right now. i have a anubius and a tiger lily in there now. i just got my 10 gallon up and running. need my funds to refresh first =]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm, I have a few ideas of stocking suggestions but it really depends on what you are looking for in this tank. I noticed that you said possibly of turning it into a full planted tank. You should probably take that into consideration when choosing either of these setups if you so choose.

1.) This setup is for bigger fish such as the convicts you had. You won't have nearly the amount of fish nor the variety because your best bet would be sticking to a group of 2-5 of the same species to help make sure you get some reproducing

- The three loaches and Pleco And one group of 2-5 of

Gouramis (depending on the species you might be able to get a bigger group of 4-7 or two smaller groups of 2-4)

or

Rainbow Fish

2.) If you are looking for a more community tank

- three loaches and pleco AND

One Betta (And kind...Used as "Center Piece" of the tank), and a small school (10-15) of small tetras (Such as Neons)

or

Small School of 10-12 Tetras (Again smaller ones such as neons), and about 5 Tiger Barbs

or

Two Smaller schools (6-8) of Tetras (Again, smaller ones)

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do neons reproduce much? i havent really heard much about them reproducing. i'm just looking to have enough fish so i cna just throw a few in my oscar tank once in awhile for snacks. i was looking around and saw that plattys reproduce pretty easily. i was thinking maybe plattys or guppies.

·
Registered
234 Posts
go for mollys ! there bigger and will provide more food for the oscar, they reproduce lots to (mollys platies or guppys are the most common live bearers that breed the most.)

jordan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have plenty of guppies I could spare :icon_smil

Every few weeks I have to take a bunch over to the pet store and force the fish on them since I have no room for them. Last batch I got rid of was around 50 or so. I’m thinned out right now, but if you’d like some you’re more than welcome to them. I also work pretty close to you over in Red Bank.

I have a 29 I'm still trying to setup. I can't make up my mind on the fish I want though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
lol guppys= the rabbits of the fish world. but im not sure the oscar would notice the little guys , heck my turtles didnt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have plenty of guppies I could spare :icon_smil

Every few weeks I have to take a bunch over to the pet store and force the fish on them since I have no room for them. Last batch I got rid of was around 50 or so. I’m thinned out right now, but if you’d like some you’re more than welcome to them. I also work pretty close to you over in Red Bank.

I have a 29 I'm still trying to setup. I can't make up my mind on the fish I want though.
That'd be awesome. I don't plan on setting this tank up for a little while, i'm just trying to get ideas of what i want to do. I'm pretty sure that i'll be doing smaller fish like guppies. i just like having a bunch of fish in one tank =] My oscar will eat just about anything i put in the tank. I put a 2.5" convict in with him and the convict disappeared! So i figure if i dump about 30 guppies in the tank with him it would give him something to do for a little while.

·
Registered
234 Posts
im surprised the convict didint kick the crap out of the oscar. i remember when i was at work some gangster said he had piranhas so he wanted to feed them convicts so he bought what 20 ?? he came back and said the freaking things destroyed the piranhas ( but piranhas are skiddish. ive seen them be killed by oscars, jacks, red devils ) you get the point though aha

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i remember when i was at work some gangster said he had piranhas so he wanted to feed them convicts so he bought what 20 ??
hahaha yea he is a mean fish. i had a red devil in the tank with him and the devil almost killed him (i know it was a bad idea to put them together). the oscar had half of his face missing and all kinds of scratches on his side. i wish i had a camera then. it took about 1 and a half months for him to heal up but now he just attacks any and everything in the tank. when i feed him he spits water at me the little bugger :icon_smil

·
Registered
234 Posts
hahah yea i had a butt kicker i brought to work (the lps) and the guy i was working with was taunting him in the vat he was in , i said you better stop.
needless to say my little fish buddy jumped out of the water and lached onto his hand , ive never seen a grown man cry so hard! ahhhh thw wonders of SA chiclids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts