The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I got a standard 29g for christmas and need some ideas on how to light it. It will be a low tech tank with just crypts and a. nana. I would like to buy an actual fixture instead of doing a DIY hood or some janky CFLs in reflectors.
While searching through old threads on 29gs it seems like T5NOs and CFLs were the main choices..I thought about doing a Finnex Fugeray or Marineland Doublebright.
I am not too sure on how to hang the fixtures from the ceiling, so if there are any that would work by sitting on the glass lid that would be awesome.

So if you have any insight or experiences, please post away :)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I have the coralife aqualight 2xT5NO on my 29g. It was about 45$ and my plants are fine. They don't grow super fast like in some of my higher tech tanks but nothing is melting etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A finnex fugeray would work great for low tech! Great company with reasonable priced fixtures

Coral life t5NO's work for low tech, but they are not nearly the quality. I say go for the LED!
after reading hoppys par thread, i began to think the 30" fugeray would give me toooo much light unless i raised it up some. I dont think im allowed to drill into the ceiling (apartment) and plus i just dont feel like having to rig up something to hold the lights...
But i think i would rather have the LEDs since they dont get hot

BTW, I checked out your 26g thread and I love your stocking, thats what I am planning on putting in my 29! did you get your gbrs from mark out of chicago?

·
Registered
866 Posts
after reading hoppys par thread, i began to think the 30" fugeray would give me toooo much light unless i raised it up some. I dont think im allowed to drill into the ceiling (apartment) and plus i just dont feel like having to rig up something to hold the lights...
maybe getting the LED and then use a layer of screen type netting to reduce the light intensity would be your solution.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts

BTW, I checked out your 26g thread and I love your stocking, thats what I am planning on putting in my 29! did you get your gbrs from mark out of chicago?

Are you sure? You will have low-maybe medium light still according to the par chart. And if you plan to have lots of plants it will block lots of light as well as putting more CO2 into the water. Plus the legs on the fugeray raise it up a couple more inches.

But anyway, its cool that you are stocking your 29 kind of like my tank. Are you doing rummynose, GBR and what else? I did get the GBR from mark and they are hardy, look great(even though not fully grown yet!) and are coloring up by the day. HIGHLY recommended!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I am using a Marineland double bright on my 29 gallon goldfish tank right now. The plants are alive and well. Growth is slow, but noticeable.

There is also a bit of a spotlight effect, but it is not nearly as pronounced as it would be with a shorter tank. It actually works well for my particular layout, so I don't mind it.

I am growing java fern and several different anubias and crypt varieties with this light using black sand substrate and root tabs. I don't add any other fertz to this tank.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have two Coralife T5NO's on my tank (four bulbs total), and I had to remove one bulb. That's WITH co2 injection. Not as bright as the HO's, but certainly too much for no co2.

I'm rather happy with this set up, it's enough light for basically any kind of plant, but is still forgiving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.