The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by someone at the most knowledgeable aquatic plant store in San Francisco that my Hagen t5HO 2x24w would be able to grow just about any plants due to the strong reflector. They are 6700K life-glo's. The WPG calc doesnt point to high lighting but he convinced me I was running a strong enough light for high light plants. Is he full of it?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
i wouldn't say that you are in the high light category. more like medium lighting. you'll be able to grow most plant species. the wpg rule doesn't apply to t5 and it is a dated term that is really only a ballpark figure for some pc and t-8/12 bulbs.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm not sure what the dimensions of a 29 gallon tall tank are, but assuming it is a 24 inch high tank, 24 inches long, that light should give you high light intensity, but right at the lower limit for "high" light. With good CO2 you can grow just about anything you wish with that much light. Then, you could raise it a few inches to get low intensity if you ever want that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Since my water was mysteeeriously disappearing I mounted the light several (no more that 6 or so) inches above the tank. This was done around the same time I swapped media in the filter, could this decreased light have to do with my terrible GW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts