The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the plunge finally and got my hands on my dream tank.

A Biocube 29, ahh I bet you're all thinking, holy that is an expensive tank for fresh water. I got lucky with mine. I got the tank, like new, and the stand for 150$.

Now the hood has been modified, so its pretty much just a hunk of plastic, the hood is cut, so that you can set lights on this bit of plastic that is screwed into the top. No lights not fan, but that is fine by me. We have the same tank at my moms, and oohh boy are the fans loud, its the same with my coworkers tank too.

Either way it gives me the option to go out and get what lighting I want. I plan on making it a high lighting tank with plants of course, right now I have a normal coil fluorescent light house blub on it just to light it up.

I started the cycle today, trying something new. I am trying a product from France, that claims that you can add your hardest fish in 4 hours. Granted I am NOT going to do that. I tested the water before adding the product in. Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia all read 0.

30 min after adding it in, this is what it read

Ammonia already gone up quite a bit.

Said product I am using.

Now it all comes down to what do I want to put in it. I figure I would bounce some ideas off you all.

I could do....

Dwarf cichlids,
or
neon or cardinal tetras. (Already have neons in my ten gallong)

or some type of colorful nano fish (Chili raspoboras, ruby tetras)

Or pea/dwarf puffers

I think I do want to do some type of smaller cory cat, not sure witch one.

I am so torn between what to do. I was thinking perhaps one center fish, then 1 group of schooling fish.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I say go for a large school of fish and 2 german blue rams or Bolivian rams, for the schoolers i'd go with Harlequin rasboras or something on the smaller size. To me i think Neon tetras can be overdone, also you see them everywhere, i like the idea of Chili Rasboras, also look at CPD's. (Celestial Pearl Danio, also known as Galaxy Rasboras)

For a smaller cory i'd say Panda Cory's because they are smaller but they arent pygmy sized, about an inch- 1 1/2

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Couldn't you do a pair of dwarf cichlids and a colorful schooling fish along with some Cory's? I've got black neons and Serpae's in my 75g with Angelfish and Oto's, then neons and cardinals in my 46g with Rams and Cory's. I'm going to do a BN Pleco along with some livebearers in a 29g with another pair of Angels that were displaced from the 75g.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't you do a pair of dwarf cichlids and a colorful schooling fish along with some Cory's? I've got black neons and Serpae's in my 75g with Angelfish and Oto's, then neons and cardinals in my 46g with Rams and Cory's. I'm going to do a BN Pleco along with some livebearers in a 29g with another pair of Angels that were displaced from the 75g.

Theres two ways I could do it.

Dwarf cichlids and schooling, or devote the tank to a breeding pair of beautiful dwarf cichlids, who's off spring I'd trade in at my LFS for credit to get coal for the salt tanks I manage at my mothers and best friends.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I say go for a large school of fish and 2 german blue rams or Bolivian rams, for the schoolers i'd go with Harlequin rasboras or something on the smaller size. To me i think Neon tetras can be overdone, also you see them everywhere, i like the idea of Chili Rasboras, also look at CPD's. (Celestial Pearl Danio, also known as Galaxy Rasboras)

For a smaller cory i'd say Panda Cory's because they are smaller but they arent pygmy sized, about an inch- 1 1/2
Ive never been found of Bolivian rams for some reason. I was thinking some really nice German blues, or electric German blues.

I love the look of my Neons in my ten gallon with my fire red shrimp, how ever they don't do to much unless its feeding time.. I swear they are the laziest neons I've ever seen.

I'd like to have some blue in the tank (German Blue), then something with a red coloration, witch is why I was thinking Cardinals, but getting my hands on them around here is a bit hard, and they can be quite pricy.

My manager has Chili rasboras in her tank, and form the photos Ive seen they are quite nice.

Ive always been found of Axelrodia Riesei (Ruby Tetras), but the only place that sells them around here is Aqua Forest in Japan town, and I have no clue how much they run.

I do want to do either habrosus, pygmaeus or, hastatus. There is one that I love more than the other, but I forget what one, ahah I'll have to ask my manger, as she knows what one I like more

On a side note, has anyone heard of the product I am trying out for doing a fishless cycle on my tank?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hard to tell, but the ammonia has gone down slightly since 11:30 am this morning.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Todays test:

Ammonia : 1.0
Nitrite : .25
Nitrate : 0

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The test today showed that everything is 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

This product seemed to spike my ammonia with in hours of adding it, and it only took a few days for it to go back to 0.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts