The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nothing new, continuing with the 9 ml of old seachem stability per day and a tiny tiny pinch of old flake food
Floor Gas Technology Flooring Glass

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
you gonna filter it?
So I had been tentatively planning to use a small air driven sponge filter placed on the gravel in the back corner, and then use the powerhead driven surface skimmer for an hour or so as needed to clear out any surface scum. But I saw that sky blue bubble wand at a LFS the other day that was just about the same length as the width of the 29 gal, so I put it in and I'm actually sort of enjoying it...

So I may try to see if I can get away with just a bubble wand, possibly making my own out of that rigid airline tubing used in the center of the under gravel filter tubes. I like the sky blue, but I think it's going to clog up after a while, where that small plastic tubing with small holes drilled in might not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No real change in the way things look, I do realize I need some drapes in this room for the glare...
Plant Window Houseplant Rectangle Organism

TDS was 44 ppm last night, dKH and dGH still around 1 drop on API. I added four more seachem root tabs today, going to see if that makes the GH pull up and away a little from the KH.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
TDS hovering around 46 ppm now, measured 1-2 drops still on both the KH and GH API kits. I am continuing on a ghost type feeding with old flake food and some really old searchem stability.
Plant Rectangle Terrestrial plant Grass Pet supply

I put the last four flourish root tabs into the substrate and added 2ml (seachem) nitrate, 2ml iron and 2.5 ml phos

·
Registered
580 Posts
With a tds of 41; what is your target stocking and target ph ? I.e, are you going for soft acidic fishes ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
With a tds of 41; what is your target stocking and target ph ? I.e, are you going for soft acidic fishes ?
For now I'm thinking to remain fishless for a couple more weeks, then maybe go with some white cloud minnows.
No plans for CO2 injection and/or ph testing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Last night I measured 50 ppm TDS, 0 ammonia just a hint of nitrate on the API test kit, I'll call it less than 5 ppm.
This morning I added 7 grams of the seachem equilibrium, put the powder in a jar of RODI mixed and added the brownish slurry over about 1 hour.
A few hours ago these arrived:
Liquid Chemical compound Fluid Ingredient Lid
Tableware Drinkware Water Liquid Fluid

There was a post card in the box that said to read this:
It contained no real acclimation instructions, so I just dumped them in. I don't think they'll show up on my cell phone pictures, but I do see a few moving and jumping:
Flower Plant Nature Terrestrial plant Sunlight
Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Water Aquatic plant

Plant Flower Rectangle Lighting Organism

If these freshwater copepods seem to survive through the next couple of days, I'll try to dig something out of the closet mess so that I can try to get one on a macro lens...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There are still a few freshwater copepods visible and moving around, and also a decent amount of die-off and algae with the chain sword.
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood Houseplant

Did some quick tests: 0 to 5 ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia, 1 to 2 drops KH, 4 to 5 drops GH and 107 ppm TDS.
Liquid Bottle Product Solution Paint

Looks like I got enough seachem Equilibrium in the other day. I haven't been adding any flake food or seachem stability since putting in the pods. Also, only that one time dose of Nitrate and Phosphate, and have decided not to add more and just see where things go for a few days.

I read a post a few days ago about someone using the seachem pristine, which I hadn't read about before from that brand, but I remember older products for salt water that seemed to be similar. The seachem pristine poster was worried that it might be causing their cloud blooms after a water change, but I was thinking if any pods live, they might enjoy feeding on a nice bacterial cloud...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yesterday the bubble wand reminded me of why I really dislike suction cup held tank things
Plant Nature Window Botany Water

So I went back to the weighted sponge filter plan (again sorry about the window light reflection, need drapes)
Plant Window Houseplant Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The copepods are still kicking and active, and the algae is really taking off now. A snail hitchhiked in with the pods (I think from the pods not the plants), and now seem to be reproducing. I think the full southern sun exposure is really kicking up the algae on the front glass, so I ordered a living room window shade for it, should be here in about a month.
Liquid Water Arthropod Art Grass
Liquid Rectangle Automotive exterior Tints and shades Grass
Plant Water Organism Flowerpot Aquatic plant

I also started adding some seachem pristine, that and seachem stability is going in daily since 2 days ago at 5 ml each. Added 6 otocinclus from the LFS yesterday, drip acclimated them for about 1 hour, one died a few hours after adding to the tank. The remaining 5 are mostly hanging out on the glass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Enjoyed reading through. Definitely get some drapes. I had a tank near a window which didn’t even get full sun and algae was impossible to keep up with. I ended up buying blackout curtains and draped a towel over my tank for a few days which helped a lot.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts