The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Starting to collect items for my new 29 gallon set up.. Looking to go Low Tech no-Co2, Substrate will be Fluval stratum, will the NICREW SkyLED Plus be good for an 18 inch tank with the follow plants.. Most of these plants are moderate light but not sure if the light will be too weak or too strong? or will the NICREW ClassicLED Plus be a better option? Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a Nicrew Skyled plus, it'll grow medium light plants. I was having luck growing S. Repens as well as a decent carpet of DHG. I also have it lifted ~4" higher than the regular legs and dimmed, so I don't think you'd have an issue with it for most of those plants(Minus the ones I don't know much about). I will say if you want any sort of carpeting I highly recommend CO2, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time for it to fill out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've used Nicrew lights before I upgraded my aquarium and have had good luck with most of the plants you've listed, but do consider that the red root floaters and tiger lotus will block some light. Also, I found this > aquariumpardata.com awhile back that shows par data for the Nicrew Skyled that might help you with your plant selection. I found it helpful when setting up a previous tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Scully and a Modest Aquarist, Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it, Scully, I will consider CO2.. A Modest Aquarist, Thank you for the light Data website, did narrow it down. I will probably not go with the floaters and for the Tiger Lotus might pass on those unless I find a spot where if they block light it won't be much of an issue.

I also wanted to add some Red in the tank any suggestions? or will my light not be strong enough? Was thinking about Ludwigia Peruensis or Ammania Senegalensis.

Thanks Gus

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been having success with Ludwigia Repens, although it only really turns red around the top. It will definitely help having a fast grower like it in there. It may also be able to help shade some of the slower/low light plants. The duration and intesity of the light you'll need for the DHG and Baby Tears will most likely be detrimental to your ferns and such.

As for CO2, it's not 100% necessary but once I stopped injecting it my carpet did slow down considerably. My S. Repens also stopped growing as fast as they had, I also pruned them a bit early too though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.. I will remove the DHG and baby tears.. and looking for another foreground plant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts