The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 29 gallon set up for about 1.5 years. About a month ago I decided that some plants wern't looking great on bottom and conditions had changed enough that the overall growth looked different.

When I started to cut down some stems, I noticed they weren't rooted. Now, every plant I put in these places ends up rotting at the base. They still can have strong growth and be held down with arial roots, just not the stem. It melts away.

Also, my low growing plants melt a bit. All in the same places. If I plant something where there was healthy growth before, it stays healthy.

My setup is high light/co2. What could cause this. Again, it is only in certain places. Rooted plants do very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I had a similar "spot of doom" scenario in my ten gallon. Everything on the right side seemed to die slowly.

But then it stopped. Now, only limnophila, lemna trisulca and egeria najas thrive in the tank.

BGA is attacking most other plants...


Don't know what is causing this. Perhaps a dead zone. Try stirring up these places considerably, unless you have a cloudy substrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
most likely a dead zone and you have sulfur or other harmful substance accumulating there and killing your plants.

A good vacuming and large water change followed by some stiffing up of the sediment in that area might help out a bit.

Some folks use heating cables from my understanding underneath the substrate to keep water currents beneath the gravel that helps to aerate the entire substrate bed.

Others simply use MTS to do the aerating for them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a few hours to deal with this after being out of town. I had two things that were a problem. I first had a large amount of waste I just never really could get out before. This is because the second thing I noticed. Over the last year, Java Moss has taken over below my HC carpet where I couldn't even see it. It was also under some of the background. Because my tank was 99% covered, the java moss was invisable.

I am not sure which is the culprit here but I pulled up a bunch of Java Moss and have been heavily vaccuming. I plan to do it daily until it is clean again. Unfortunately I had to pull up my carpet of HM but it should be worth it in the end. I now wish I never put any in and will be diligent to keep it off the substrate from now on.

This may seem obvious but I really had no clue I had a second carpet of moss under my carpet. Hopefully this jumpstarts my tank back to where it was.

Thanks for the help.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top