The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in possesion of both a 20 gallon long and a 29 gallon for a shrimp tank. I was wondering which you would feel would be better. It will be low light with anubias, moss, and sagetaria being the primary plants in this proposed setup. Which one do you feel would be better for breeding shrimp. I am planning on housing(and hopefully breeding) crystal red shrimp and red cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would go with the 20g long for a shrimp tank. The 20g long and the 29g have the same footprint, but maintaining the tank and culling your shrimps will be a lot easier in the shallower tank. The only reason to go with the 29g is if you wanted plants that would require the extra height.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Being the owner of a 37g (same footprint as a 29g only 4" taller) that replaced a 29g, I can confidently say that the 20L will serve you the best. Especially for a shrimp tank. The member who said "bigger is better" is somewhat correct as more volume allows more flexibility in water parameters (the larger amount of water you are working with is less effected by changes that could perhaps cause an issue in a smaller tank) but with shrimp (and any other o2 sensitive animal) you want as much surface area in comparison to tank volume as possible to promote better water/o2 exchange. The 20L is much better in this regard. Also with it being more shallow it will be much easier to get your hands in the tank for maintenance/catching shrimp/whatever. Then, lastly; if you are going to scape or plant this tank a 29g is really useless and very hard to create an aesthetically pleasing layout due to it being so tall in relation to how deep (front to back) it is.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
you know I didn't even think about the shallowness of a 20L. What is that depth, like 12 or 14 inches? That is a great point.
20L
30"x12"x12" (roughly)

29g
30"x12"x18.5" (roughly)

Shallow tanks are great. I just purchased a 40b from petco during their $1/g sale to replace the 37g I currently have. I cant wait. I hate that tall son of a biscuit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.